Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Apartment advice

SaugusSaugus Posts: 3,879Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Cornell University
Do you guys know any places with a short walking distance from campus?

Right now, I'm look at this place:

Collegetown Center - 151 Dryden Road - Premier Graduate Studio, 1 BR, & 2 BR Apts

I really have no idea how that place is relative to every other apartment.

Also, this one:

The Eddygate :: Ithaca Collegetown Apartments for Rent :: Overview
Post edited by Saugus on

Replies to: Apartment advice

• Islander4Islander4 Posts: 1,529Registered User Senior Member
    They're both less than a five minute walk from the law school.
  • SaugusSaugus Posts: 3,879Registered User Senior Member
    Which apartment do you live in?

And the law school is fairly far away from the Arts Quad... I don't want to live on West Campus, but that would save me a lot of time.
  • mxmmstudentmxmmstudent Posts: 235Registered User Junior Member
    Looking right now at the moon, McGraw tower, and Libe Slope out of my dorm window, I would definitely recommend giving West Campus at least a consideration. I think living there at least one year is a great experience.
  • countryangel926countryangel926 Posts: 1,213Registered User Senior Member
    I lived on West as a sophomore and junior, and I currently live at Collegetown Plaza (same landlord/similar apartments as Collegetown Center). Happy to answer any specific questions you have (you can PM me).
    So apparently there are also apartments on West Campus, which I would prefer since they are bigger and allow me to use the dining halls. It seems kind of silly to me that Collegetown apartments are more expensive than West Campus ones.

Does anyone know anything about Ravenwood or Campus Hill?
  • galen0805galen0805 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    I am also interested. My son has signed a lease for an apartment in Campus Hill for next year. I hope it is okay!
  • cormom15cormom15 Posts: 354Registered User Member
    My D and friends are also going to live in Campus Hill along with another apartment of friends in the same building. Collegetown seemed too expensive so she and her friends decided to live there at least for one year. The landlord seems nice - they had an issue with the girls from the year before deciding to stay in the apartment after they signed the lease, so they gave a nice incentive to the girls to make sure the girls would find another apartment that they liked equally. Technically they could have taken the apartment since lease was signed but it turned out better in the end.
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,277Registered User Senior Member
    Does anyone know anything about Ravenwood or Campus Hill?

They're cheap. Collegetown Center and Eddygate are staggeringly expensive.
  • amacollegeamacollege Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    Are you looking to move out in the spring semester?
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,440Registered User Senior Member
    My son lived in College Hill his sophomore year. Perfectly acceptable housing -- purpose built apartments as opposed to converted houses. Just a short walk to the dining halls if you wanted a meal plan. Several frats in the vicinity.
    ^^
    I don't think you can as a freshman. I'm talking about next year.

CNP55, do you know how nice the apartment was? Like... Was it a nice apartment as in hotel-level, or was it dorm-like?

Also, is 550 square feet big for an apartment?
  • cnp55cnp55 Posts: 3,440Registered User Senior Member
    My son lived in a 3 bedroom apartment. There was one larger bedroom and two smaller, plus a bathroom, a kitchen with an eat-in area, and a living room area open to the kitchen.

Reasonably well planned and laid out, the finishes were older and mid-level. So -- laminate countertops instead of granite, and I believe laminate cabinetry, not wood. Vinyl tile for the hard surface flooring and a basic wall to wall carpet for the living room, hallway, and bedrooms.

Is 550 sf big? Think about a standard 2 car garage -- that is approximately 25x22 or 550 sf. Can you fit the rooms you need into that garage? 550 sf, in my opinion is not a huge one bedroom apartment, but it's liveable. I think for a 2 BR it would be tight.

Edited to add: go to some apartment websites and look at floor plans. You'll quickly get the sense of how big a 550 sf apartment is.
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 16,543Registered User Senior Member
    550 sf studio apartment is huge. NYC studios are 300-400, one bedroom 650.

You won't find any apartment, even in Collegetown, to be hotel quality, unless you are talking about Days Inn or Motel 6. My kid lived at 312 College Ave. It had laminated counter, no frill bathroom. The only plus side was the location.
  • MarianMarian Posts: 9,277Registered User Senior Member
    You might want to check out this property management company: Apartments in Ithaca, NY: Student Apartments: Novarr-Mackesey

They don't necessarily have the best locations (even the massive group of new buildings they're currently putting up is a little far from campus), but they are real professionals. They don't mess up your lease or lose your rent checks. They don't cheat people (my daughter and her roommates got every dime of their security deposits back). They answer your calls, and they fix things promptly. And they own a variety of different properties, new and old, expensive and cheap.

You could do a lot worse.
  • alamodealamode Posts: 2,063Registered User Senior Member
    the nicest apartments I've seen are 407 college. I lived there for a summer and it was great, super close to everything and right above the bus stop too. they're extremely expensive though. I mean, I pay $640 to live in a crappy house that's on the verge of falling apart, that's collegetown prices for you. 301 college was a nice medium. a wee bit farther down than 407 but right above jasons and way cheaper. also directly across from the liquor store...

ravenwood from what I know is almost all grad students. usually most undergrads either live in ctown or if they live on west they live in dorms/frats/co-ops. if you're going to get an apartment you usually do ctown.

also the law school is not far from the arts quad, its like a 10 minute walk straight through Ho Plaza. and if you live on west you have to walk up the slope = fail. main reason why I've avoided it. and west is way farther away than ctown (if you live on college/dryden) in my opinion, especially if you live in the apartments since those are back behind all the dorms

the reason collegetown prices are higher than west campus apartments is because most people want to be part of that community where their friends are, and the convenience of ctb/bars/restaurants makes it attractive as opposed to west which is isolated from all those things. landlords know this and take advantage of our poor loan-ridden souls.