Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

***Official Cornell Class of 2016 Spring Transfer Thread

1242526272830»

Replies to: ***Official Cornell Class of 2016 Spring Transfer Thread

• thenarddog1thenarddog1 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Hello if any successful ILR transfers could answer this question for me, I would really appreciate it. I am applying for fall transfer to ILR, however, I have all prerequisite courses completed except a foreign language and economics courses (haven't even taken econ 1, yikes)

Will this weigh heavily on my application?
    The ILR site says these are recommended prerequisites.. not 100% necessary.. regardless, I think I will be registering for econ 1 and macro over the summer before I would be enrolling. My transcript is already sent but my application is not.. so should I make note of my intention to complete the econ prerequisites in the commonapp additional information or something?

This is stressing me out because I've already really really tailored my writing supplement to why ILR, and I am really interested in the school. But if the lack of econ courses will really weigh on me, I will probably have to apply to CAS.
  • HereToTransferrHereToTransferr Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    @ArthurDent42

1) Yes.
    2. Letter of recommendations should be from a professor. For me, I asked a professor who was new and wans't really loyal to the school, so it wasn't as awkward. But tbh, LOR are just a touchy subject in general.
    3. I heard of people who've done that but tbh, i think they would view you as a fresh new applicant.

I'm just curious though, why are you trying to retransfer if you've already been accepted?
  • ArthurDent42ArthurDent42 Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    @HereToTransferr I had to turn down Cornell after a financial aid mixup...a very long story...I am now at a small unknown liberal arts school 5 minutes from my house (unlike Cornell being 16 hours away) that I only intended to attend if Cornell rejected me, and I'm not very happy. I am hoping to get accepted (again) and do financial aid (again, and get it right this time) and actually go...then again, I'm so tired of hearing about college and applications and all of this, this year has will continue to be exhausting in every possible way, I'm not sure if I'm gonna even have the drive to want to transfer. The financial aid issue was part error on my parents part, part Cornell being too expensive.

Furthermore, I'd like to ask, if I may: would be possible for me to take on student loans that would cover not only student expected pay, but as well as some of my parents' expected pay? In other words, can I somehow lighten the load for my parents in terms of their expected pay? Probably not the right place to ask, but eh.
  • HereToTransferrHereToTransferr Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    @arthurdent42 oh man that stinks :/ I have no idea I'm sorry. I'm not too knowledgeable about the loan process. where would you attain the loan specifically, I'm just curious?
  • ArthurDent42ArthurDent42 Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    edited September 2016
    @HereToTransferr I guess through a private bank or loan company
  • terr24lrterr24lr Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    MIDTERM REPORT QUESTION!

What does "course number mean"? For example I am taking Math 147 (a statistics class) which has a Course Registration number of (let's say) 9899012. Is the "course number" I write on the midterm report 147 or 9899012?

Keep in mind my school does not have mid term grades so I will personally be going to my professors and have them estimate my current grades (which I guess is what I am supposed to do right?) Thanks!
  • BeyondhopeBeyondhope Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Hi - Does anyone know if you are put on the ILR waitlist and wait it out and if a spot doesn't open up are you automatically offered a guaranteed transfer option to Cornell? I read in the past that is what ILR did, but do they still in 2017?
  • TiggyB62TiggyB62 Registered User Posts: 1,358 Senior Member
    @ArthurDent42 I recall reading your posts last year about your FA mixup. You personally will not be able to borrow all that money privately. You are entitled to get a subsidized or unsubsidized loan without qualification, but those amounts are limited. $5500 year one, $7500 year two etc. and you have to fill out the FAFSA. loans These will be in your name. Your parents can then look at other options to finance the rest: home equity, savings, cashing out retirement funds, regular income, or private loan.