Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Cornell University Warns Mistletoe Isn’t ‘Inclusive’ Enough And Students Shouldn’t Use It

124»

Replies to: Cornell University Warns Mistletoe Isn’t ‘Inclusive’ Enough And Students Shouldn’t Use It

• usualhopefulusualhopeful Registered User Posts: 1,627 Senior Member
    Actually, I think they would deny Muslim symbols being placed in areas where they suggest that the school is endorsing a particular religion.
    Basically the school (via a fire safety memo that ~4 people will read all the way through and 0 will pay attention to) said "hey, how about people don't make it look like the school is affiliated with and supporting a specific religion" and apparently that was worth a good panic session about the fall of higher education.
    (Because clearly PC culture is a greater danger to the college system than corporatization and staggering student loan debt.)
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 3,991 Senior Member
    "don't make it look like the school is affiliated with and supporting a specific religion"

I think that this is what they should say. lol
    And if you actually look at the memo, that seems to be what they're trying to communicate with "Any display areas that normally are available to all campus groups shall also be available for the display of
    religious symbols" and "Areas that would give the impression that the symbol is associated with the university, particularly the external surfaces of buildings may not be used for displays of religious symbols."
  • rhandcorhandco Registered User Posts: 4,195 Senior Member
    Um, if my child's dorm were festooned with various religious holiday symbols, and my child didn't like it, I'd tell him or her to put up their own whatever on their door.

I don't agree that mistletoe is a religious symbol though, sheesh. Is Frosty the Snowman a religious symbol?
    @rhandco My guess is that concern over mistletoe was less about religious diversity and more about sexual assault.. I don't know whether mistletoe is actually frequently involved in sexual assault, or if they decided to throw it in there just in case.
  • ayprcwbjmyayprcwbjmy Registered User Posts: 76 Junior Member
    Daily Caller is right-wing nutjob flamebait. Simply citing them lowers your credibility greatly. I agree that Cornell should chill and let students express themselves freely (as long as there is no religious bullying) but Daily Caller is blowing this issue out of proportion. Other than some loony campus protesters and administrators too easily pushed over by them, the majority of people do not support this overzealous political correctness.
  • Suk2001Suk2001 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    These libtards need to grow up. Like honestly this generation is too sheltered. They don't know what real issues are because previous generations have fought to fix them. These kids need to understand that just because some things are white does not mean they are racist! BTW for anyone curious: I'm not white nor am I Christian but this pathetic regressive leftist culture needs to stop.
124»
This discussion has been closed.