Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

****Cornell University Class of 2021 Regular Decision Thread****

Replies to: ****Cornell University Class of 2021 Regular Decision Thread****

• scarletwitchxscarletwitchx Registered User Posts: 305 Member
    probably an unexpectedly high yield last year!
  • JJsnowJJsnow Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Urgent- really need your input here PLEASE-
    To be accepted by SHA next year, which two of the following courses should I select for Senior year of high school?
    I like to pick the first two but am afraid this choice will hurt my application.
    AP European History
    Physics-Honors
    AP Physics I
    AP Statistics
    Please advise… PLEASE!!!
  • idekidcidekidc Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    so can the low acceptance rate mean that people will be admitted off the waitlist?
  • mdchang99mdchang99 Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    @idekidc They can, but I mean the chances are probably low, as with other institutions with waitlists.
    @jjsnow There is no magical formula for classes to take. Some people take like 20 APs, others like 5. As long as you are challenging yourself with a rigorous load, have a high test score, and can write proficiently about your HS experience you'll be fine.

In my opinion, all of the courses you listed are equally rigorous, except AP Phys 1 is probably harder than the honors version. I have taken the calculus-based Physics C, and I am pretty sure that Phys 1 is the algebra version of it.

Please don't take an AP Physics course for the sake of colleges. I have a few friends that did it for that reason... and they are not faring too well in class or college admissions. At this point, you should just chill out tbh. Get a part-time job, start researching schools and their testing requirements (prep as necessary), and go have fun lol.
  • STEM2021STEM2021 Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    If you are interested in SHA perhaps European History would be a good choice and also Statistics. @JJsnow
  • realperson2990realperson2990 Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Don't try to plan too much @JJsnow . Take a rigorous course load that interests you and meets the basic Cornell requirements. Senior year, I overbooked things with 4 very challenging AP courses and 2 college preparatory classes. Ive been largely watching senior year fly by because of my miserable course load. Its not worth it, as long as you've done fine up to this point, don't burn yourself out in your final year.
  • CelestialAPCelestialAP Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Is there a groupme for accepted students? I want to make friends as soon as possible, since it is difficult for me to lol. I already followed the Cornell Class of 2021 Instagram.
  • rockies12rockies12 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Did anyone get the free Cornell t-shirt by mail ?
  • MomEof3MomEof3 Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    @rockies12 the form said it would take a long time
  • whyyydisthoughwhyyydisthough Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Same question as CelestialAP, is there a groupme because I dont know anyone going to Cornell. I think I have heard of one involving accessing the facebook page, but I deleted facebook like 5 years ago
  • SleepIsTemporarySleepIsTemporary Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    PM me and I'll add you to the groupme
  • pineappledragonpineappledragon Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    @rockies12 we're supposed to wait 8 or so weeks for shipping
  • realperson2990realperson2990 Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Does anybody know the process for changing majors if we have not even started the curriculum yet? Is there a mandated waiting period? I think another major in CALS would be a better fit for me considering my recent involvement in an extracurricular related to my original major....
    @realperson2990 Over the summer they'll assign us advisers. You can consult them about this situation.