Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

****Cornell University Class of 2021 Regular Decision Thread****

Replies to: ****Cornell University Class of 2021 Regular Decision Thread****

• DaedricSaiyanDaedricSaiyan Registered User Posts: 405 Member
    @scarletwitchx I'm majoring in CS. Cornell offers engineering students a lot of time to declare their major; you have five semesters worth of time before you are obligated to affiliate with a major. Since most of the engineering reqs between majors are relatively the same (i.e. all engineering students take calculus, linear algebra, physics and chemistry) you won't fall behind if you decide you want to switch majors in freshman/sophomore year. Additionally, Cornell requires all engineering students to take an Intro to Engineering and Engineering Distribution course; you can use these to get a taste of certain engineering fields and see if you're interested.

• PeregrineFlutePeregrineFlute Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    I am also applying to the College of Engineering. Not sure exactly what type, but leaning toward environmental. I think I might double major within COE, or at least minor in something else.
  • scarletwitchxscarletwitchx Registered User Posts: 305 Member
    @PeregrineFlute ooh, I'm also thinking of environmental! Or maybe mechanical with a sustainable development focus.
  • tigerman333tigerman333 Registered User Posts: 1,197 Senior Member
    Woah there's a thread for this. Anybody here planning to apply to Dyson?
  • niclyd95niclyd95 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    @DaedricSaiyan What are the internship/job opportunities like right now? Are there lots to choose from? Is there time to socialize and to have free time in general being in an engineering major? And is GPA a worry for many people, or do you get decent grades if you study?
  • redgobigredgobig Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Has anyone received their Applicant ID and PIN yet from Cornell admissions?
    Thanks!
  • educationfaneducationfan Registered User Posts: 103 Junior Member
    My S applied RD to the college of engineering and just received an interview offer. Has anyone else received an interview with alum offer?
    @DaedricSaiyan Does Cornell offer merit based scholarships to RD applicants?
  • reformedmanreformedman Registered User Posts: 305 Member
    @educationfan I thought Cornell interviews were only for Architecture students, I had not know there was interviews for engineering students. In fact, the admissions requirements page says they will NOT give interviews to engineering students. Here's a quote:
    Students applying to the architecture program are required to participate in an interview as part of the admission process and applicants to the Department of Art are encouraged, although not required, to have an interview. Beginning in August, students may visit aap.cornell.edu/admissions/interview.cfm or call 607.255.4376 to schedule an interview.
    Formal admission interviews are offered for applicants to The School of Hotel Administration. Details at hotelschool.cornell.edu/admissions/ugrad.

For all other applicants, there is no interview process and we will not offer interviews for those who request them.
    Hmm... interesting... I guess we'll see what's it about...
  • realperson2990realperson2990 Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Hello everyone!
    Just turning in my application to CALS. Applying RD from rural New York, 30 ACT 95.2 GPA so Cornell is my stretch.. Really nervous! Wrote essays about interning at various Zoos/Large animal practices. Tried tying in background in rural community to Ag, we'll see how that goes. Anybody else doing CALS?

• lhw1998lhw1998 Registered User Posts: 471 Member
    I'm applying :) good luck, everyone!
  • pinkdog13pinkdog13 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    @educationfan Ivy League schools don't offer merit based scholarships.
  • bookieebookiee Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    What are my chances??

Date Applied: Not yet
    Unweighted GPA: 3.69
    Weighted GPA: 4.58
    SAT: 1340/1600 1860/2400
    SAT II's: N/A
    ACT: N/A
    State Of Residence: FL
    Male / Female: Male
    Summer or Fall: Fall
    Class rank: 29/506
    AP's: 15
    Extra Curriculars: Varsity Swim, Varsity Volleyball, Academic Team, School Duel, Honor Societies, Pharmacy Technician, Medical Lab Assistant, etc. 800 Volunteer Hours and a lot more. I think my EC's are really good.
    Essay: Great (IMO) Discussed my AP Capstone argumentative papers, which is what I want to major in.
    Senior Schedule: 3 APs, 2 Honors, 2 Dual Enrollments
    Is Cornell your first choice? No
    Other schools you applied for: UF, Tulane, Miami, FSU, UCF (Accepted), Indiana(Accepted), Hofstra, Alabama(Accepted), UCLA
    Major/Field of Study: Public Health (CALS)
    Comments: Just a hopeful student.
  • reformedmanreformedman Registered User Posts: 305 Member
    @bookiee Considering "IS CORNELL YOUR FIRST CHOICE? NO"
    and
    SAT: 1340, 1860
    your chances will probably be on the low side.