Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Cornell Class of 2021 Guaranteed Transfer Discussion Thread

Replies to: Cornell Class of 2021 Guaranteed Transfer Discussion Thread

• forest2021forest2021 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Hi! I got a TO for CALS for biology. Most likely attending UC Davis for my first year. If anyone has experience or opinions on transferring from a UC I'd love to hear about them. Are course requirements gonna be difficult to fulfill?
    I'm a bit worried about how much weight they put on second semester senior year grades. The senioritis kicked in badly for me and I might end the year with 2 C's.
  • chamberswchambersw Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    Does anyone one what are the less competive majors in CALS for junior transfer ?
  • chamberswchambersw Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    Also will anyone be attending any schools that have articulation agreements with CALS ?
  • tocollege182tocollege182 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    @forest2021 What (in general) are the requirements for CALS? I plan to transfer into HumEc for HBHS, and I need both bio & chem labs (8 credits each). Kinda smilar to you, I'll probably spend my first year at UC San Diego, and given what I've been able to see from freshmen schedules, I'm really worried about being able to meet those. Definitely a large concern considering I'm a science major
  • kmissymaykmissymay Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hey, everyone! I got offered a transfer option to CALS for Animal Science. Before I learned of my TO I was super excited to be attending my safety school, once I heard of my TO I was pretty emotionally confused what to think. Now I feel super blessed to be given the opportunity to transfer to my dreams school.

As for the people who are wondering about attending CC, I have my own opinions on the CC idea. I think that there is really nothing like joining an incoming class of freshman at a college where no one knows one another and you all are starting brand new together. I think you shouldn't sacrifice this one of a kind experience (if financially possible) just because of the "ethical dilemma" or easier to maintain a 3.0. I mean lets be real we can all probably maintain a 3.0 at any college if we got into Cornell. :) I personally think you shouldn't tell anyone of your guaranteed TO and just immerse yourself fully in the freshman college experience.

• 4356346843563468 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm not planning on telling anyone at my college about my plans, but I think I'll tell friends/family that I'm going to X University with the option to transfer to Cornell my sophomore year - so not a definite plan, but an opportunity. I'm going to keep quiet at my new school, though, and just enjoy my freshman experience, like you said.
  • Steglitz90Steglitz90 Registered User Posts: 172 Junior Member
    @tocollege182 Are you from San Diego? We are.... if so, the CC I looked at was Grossmont, but I didn't look at the SD CC like Mesa or City College. My son is probably going to U Miami next year as he loves the U (& I could easily see him staying there). The CALS req for TO is one year (2 sem) or EITHER bio w/lab (need more clarification on what type of bio classes count) or Chem I & II w/labs (this is more straightforward), plus 1 year freshman comp (that's a given at a lot of schools), and Calc I (which a 4 on the AP Calc AB would check off). I think we have to be patient & wait for the packet they are sending with the detailed information.
    @Steglitz90 Yeah I'm from near San Diego! I was recently looking into what could transfer from City College to UCSD, and I either wasn't looking properly or I couldn't find anything that would really help satisfy the HumEc bio & chem lab requirements. Do you think it'd be a viable option? I'm considering reaching out to HumEc (I know that they said it's best to wait till after we committ to a school, but I'm getting anxious). I wasn't aware that they were sending a more detailed packet; I'm sure it can help a ton.
  • lgirl555lgirl555 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi all!!! I was offered a TO to CALS for Communication. Super excited about the opportunity and am definitely going to take it. However, I am torn about where to go for freshman year especially since the Class of 2020 GT Thread described how it is difficult to fit Cornell's requirements on top of the other classes you have to take. Nonetheless, I'm extremely excited as Cornell is my dream school :)
  • AlexDad2016AlexDad2016 Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    My daughter is looking at the TO as well...likely to go to her second choice school and then if she can swing getting the classes and grades, she will transfer, but otherwise be OK with staying. She is bio for CALS, so 3.5 minimum GPA required.
  • StuDYING4CollegeStuDYING4College Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Got offered a transfer option for the ILR school, I'll be attending Washington University in St. Louis with the intention of staying at WashU and I'll reconsider the option that Cornell is giving me when the time comes.
    edited April 2
    @tocollege182 Since I'm a bio major I have a bit more requirements than some of the other majors, so I was thinking if I find out it's going to be hard to fulfill the requirements I might switch my major. My requirements are 3.5 GPA, 1 year bio w/labs, 2 writing/English, Chem 1 and 2 w/labs, calculus 1, and calculus 2 or stats. Strongly recommended but not required organic chem 1 and 2. Honestly, I'm still pretty overwhelmed and confused about the whole transfer process so I'm pretty worried about trying to meet the requirements. I would've preferred SD from Davis, but I got waitlisted there
    @tocollege182 My requirements for bio at CALS are 3.5 GPA, 1 year bio w/labs, 1 year chem w/labs, 1 year english/writing, calculus 1, calculus2 or stats. Recommended but not required 1 year organic chem. Bio seems to have more requirements than some of the other majors, so I was thinking if it starts to look difficult to fulfill the requirements, I would switch majors. I'm still pretty overwhelmed and confused by this whole transfer thing, and I'm pretty worried about not being able to meet requirements at a UC.
    UCSD was my top choice UC because I lived near there for a few years. Got waitlisted though...
    @forest2021 Sounds like the requirements for HBHS and bio at CALS are close to the same. If it gets difficult, do you want to switch majors at UC Davis or switch at Cornell? I'm considering calling UCSD soon (if they're willing to talk to me) about this whole thing, being as honest as possible about the Cornell TO. I don't know how it's all gonna work out, or even if it will :/ I'll let you kno if I come across anything useful.
  • AlexDad2016AlexDad2016 Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    Can you switch intended majors for Cornell and retain TO? Class selection is the biggest hurdle, as for most schools you won't be guaranteed a slot in the required classes.