Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Cornell vs. Tufts

2»

Replies to: Cornell vs. Tufts

• mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    Cornell isn't isolated from the local area. You can easily walk to the commons. It's a fun, busy, interesting area for many people.
  • mom2twogirlsmom2twogirls Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    If you google "Ithaca commons", you should see the area I am talking about.
  • monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,355 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    Re #16 :
    While the downtown is more heavily the "turf" of Ithaca College students, and townies, there are Cornell students all over Ithaca, downtown and beyond. So obviously lots of Cornell students are getting there, and frequently, one way or another.

Nevertheless, I would say that "easily" is in the eye of the beholder.

Cornell, and Collegetown (the area of Ithaca adjoining the university), are located on East Hill, which is steep and overlooks downtown Ithaca.
    This will probably be the first mention of the Telecaster forum on this board, but :post #103 will give you some idea of the hill
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/pickin-up-strangers-do-you-pick-up-hitch-hikers.219885/page-6

Back in the old days there was a cable car running up/down the hill. Which honestly makes a great deal of sense.

My D2 and I both lived in lower Collegetown when we attended, separated of course by many years.
    D2 had friends who lived downtown, and she went there frequently. And also walked to the Commons frequently to meet up & go out. She also had access to a car, and drove to downtown and environs frequently.

As an upperclassman there, I too had access to a car, and did likewise.
    But as an underclassman I rarely went down there.

There is good bus service in Ithaca, so there is no problem getting there. But there was enough to do on or near campus, and in Collegetown, that even taking a bus felt like too much trouble. To me. And, unlike my daughter, I was far too lazy to walk up the hill.

Once I did have a car I loved exploring the greater Ithaca area. Not just the downtown but the greater area, including the state parks ringing Ithaca. That was an enhancement to my experience, but not strictly necessary. Note that *you* do not need a car to do this extra exploration, you just need to know somebody with a car. A decent chunk of upperclassmen do have cars. And you can also do a lot of it via the bus system, its just that I personally was too lazy to do that, but that's just me. The guy who was also too lazy to walk the hill.

2»