Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Chances of me getting into Cornell: Canadian

splash1031splash1031 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited June 8 in Cornell University
I know I'm pretty hopeless but I think if I've got a bunch of unique business experiences which would probably allow me to write a killer essay for Dyson, but honestly I'm open to Economics as well in the College of Arts and Sciences.

I'm from Canada

GPA: Don't have those in Canada?
Grade 9: 78
Grade 10: 74
Grade 11: 80
Grade 12: 91 (Realistically)

Standardized Scores:
SAT 1: 1550
SAT 2: 780 World History 790 Chinese

IB: Pretty sure I could get 35/45 Predicted realistically if I work my ass off next year

EC:
President- Investment Club
Captain of Quizbowl Team
Executive - DECA
Model UN
Junior Officer's Training Corp Equivalent in Canada

Work:
Starbucks (quit that after I realized I'd make more dedicating myself to trading)
A lot of import-export and brokering stuff which I made a killing off of
Trading Horse Races & Forex successfully (Don't know if I should mention this cuz it's kind of illegal since I'm not 18)

Awards:
Prolly 1st place at a Quizbowl Tournament
Regional Award at DECA, maybe State award.
Honorable Mention: Model UN

Parent's Income: $45000 (IK, Broke AF but maybe this'll help my case since I'm so poor? Or it'll hurt my chances since I'm an international student in need of financial aid)

Race: Asian

Essay: Going for a moonshot, either I tell everything in the essay and make the guy think I'm a whiz with money or I expose myself for unethical activities (underage trading).

Letters of Rec: Most teachers hate me. Maybe I could get 1 to write me a 8/10?

Other Info:
First in family to go to University
Will Applying for Early Decision help?
Will my International status and needing Financial Aid destroy any sliver of hope I might have had? Also I'd pretty much have to give up all the money I've made for tuition right?

Thanks for any insight.

Replies to: Chances of me getting into Cornell: Canadian

• kyungheekyunghee Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    I'm also a Canadian so maybe I could give some insight!

Your standardized test scores and ECs are pretty good, but your lower marks in earlier years of high school may affect you negatively. Most Canadian unis only look at Grade 12 marks, but American universities usually take into account all 4 years to some extent.

The fact that you're the first generation in your family to go to uni will definitely help, as well as applying ED!

Not sure about writing your essay on the horse races & forex lmao; it's kinda risky is all I can say.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 10,501 Senior Member
    edited June 13
    With those marks Cornell is an extremely high reach. Did you just not care in the past three years? Cornell will want to see evidence of your commitment. Now, at best would have one semester IF you manage to do well in school. The high test scores says that you are a bright person who didn't bother to study at all in high school. That is not the type of student that Cornell is looking for.