Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use the following form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

Transferring to a cheaper school?

HixonsHixons Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
Hello
I am an incoming freshman student at Cornell. In a series of unfortunate events I lost my full ROTC scholarship to Cornell due to a severe peanut allergy. My family has enough money to pay for one year of Cornell. At this point my options are to attend Junior College or go to Cornell for a year and attempt to transfer out. I understand Cornell is academically challenging, but highly ranked. If I can get through freshman year with at least a 3.0, would transferring to cheaper schools be possible? I know transferring with a lower GPA would be difficult, but would the Cornell name help at all? I'm thinking along the lines of UCLA, Cal poly SLO, UC Davis; any decent school I could afford. Would just going to my local community college be better than wasting a year at Cornell?
Thanks!

Replies to: Transferring to a cheaper school?

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 1,695 Senior Member
    A year at Cornell with no scholarship is going to be VERY expensive. The cost of this does not seem worthwhile to me if you know that you won't be able to continue.

I have heard here on CC that financial aid for transfer students tends to be very limited. As such, while it seems lousy to be stuck in this situation due to a peanut allergy, nonetheless I wonder if you should take a gap year and reapply to more affordable schools for next year.
  • Sportsman88Sportsman88 Registered User Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    You haven't started school? You might be able to preserve your freshman status and take a gap year given such a good reason. Do you have any other fall scholarship options or was it all ROTC?
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 10,435 Senior Member
    Too late for this year but would you qualify for need based aid next year?
  • GumbymomGumbymom Registered User Posts: 17,780 Senior Member
    UCLA and Cal Poly SLO only accept Junior level transfers (60 semester/90 quarter units) and UC Davis rarely accepts Sophomore level transfers (mainly in the College of Agriculture and Environmental Science) if spots are available.

If you plan to transfer next year, then start at a California CC instead or as suggested, take a Gap year and reapply since the best FA is given as a Freshman applicant.
  • HixonsHixons Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I did not qualify for any financial aid. I do agree that going for a year would be a waste of money. I think I will probably take a gap year and work to help pay tuition. Trying to stay as positive as possible but truly heartbroken.
    Thanks for the responses!
  • HixonsHixons Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I was accepted to all 3 of those schools this year, however, declined admissions offer for Cornell. Would that increase my chances of admissions next year?
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 2,724 Senior Member
    I think taking a gap year would be a good option. I don't think it would necessarily increase your chances, but chances are they will accept you again especially since they mostly consider grades (unless there are significantly more competitive applicants that apply)
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 10,435 Senior Member
    And your parents will not contribute anything after freshman year? Again, no transfer to those CA schools as a sophomore, only as a junior.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 1,695 Senior Member
    Best of luck with this. I expect that you will do very well, even if delayed by a year.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,746 Senior Member
    Ask Cornell if you can defer (provide the reason) - they're very likely to say yes.
    RE apply as a freshman at a variety of universities that offer merit, not just the UC's that admitted you.
    It's very important you take no class any any college (including CC) during your gap year.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 20,728 Senior Member
    Why don't you call those schools you declined to see if they would still take you for this year? It is only Jun.