Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Internal Transfer into CALS

dib629dib629 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
So I have just finished my freshman year at College of Engineering at Cornell and my grades are absolutely miserable. Although I did better overall in my classes, pulling my grades up from Cs to Bs, I absolutely tanked multivariable calc. I simply did not understand it, and I got the tutors, attended extra help classes, and went to office hours. I've already applied to internally transfer into the Biology and Society major at CALS. I articulated in my essay how engineering was a poor fit for me and I believe that the Biology and Society major will be a better fit for me and my plans of being a pre-med. However, I'm very nervous that my grade in multivariable calc (which was a D!!!!) will severely impact my chances of transferring. Does anyone know how lenient CALS is and if I have any chance of transferring?

Replies to: Internal Transfer into CALS

• monydadmonydad Registered User Posts: 7,344 Senior Member
    edited June 16
    I certainly do not know. But I would suggest that:

- if you have firmly decided that the college/program of studies you are in is not right for you; after all; and
    - Given that approval of internal transfer to a different college within the university is less likely than is often the case, in your situation, and you won't know the results for a long time ;

You should probably also apply for transfer to different colleges/universities that perhaps more closely suit your needs and objectives. Now that you have become more aware of them. There may be some that suit you better than CALS does.

If you wind up being stuck in COE that will not be a good result for you. From what you are posting.