Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

AP courses

brown2024brown2024 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
I am currently a sophomore and some of my classmates are doing AP exams end of the school year - Cornell CALS is on my college list - how many AP exams do they look for? I took BIO Sat II and got 770 and will be taking CHEM Sat II end of this school year. I am in a competitive NY public school. Thank you for your input.

Replies to: AP courses

• LvMyKids2LvMyKids2 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    @brown2024 - it is not the number of ap "exams" that you should worry about. What highly selective schools are looking for are if you are taking the most challenging and rigorous classes available to you. As part of that are honors and AP classes. At the end of each AP class, there is a standard AP exam....So it isn't that Cornell (or highly selective schools) ask for a specific number of AP exams...they are looking to see that you had a rigorous and challenging course load over your 4 years of high school. And with that comes AP classes, which turns into AP exams. Another thing to consider is making sure you are just not loading up on "easier" AP classes if you are truly not interested in those subjects - AP Envion Science, AP Psych and AP Art History. it would be great to take APs in the core - english, science, math, language and history. Also, if you are getting an A or B in those classes, one would expect to see you doing very well on the AP exam itself. Hope that helps.
  • ALAL Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    I agree with the person above. Cornell doesn't look for the number of AP's you take, but rather that you take the most challenging courses in high school that appeal to you. If you really do want to take AP exams/classes, make sure they are in subjects you are interested in.