Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

does the grade you receive in physical education count toward ur gpa?

harvardman1988harvardman1988 Posts: 345- Member
edited July 2006 in Cornell University
i'm deciding whether to take the swim test or not. if so, i would have to learn the backstroke over the summer. Has anyone taken the class and how much fun is it? and does the grade go into your overall gpa?
Post edited by harvardman1988 on

Replies to: does the grade you receive in physical education count toward ur gpa?

• norcalguynorcalguy Posts: 7,541Registered User Senior Member
    You don't get a grade in PE classes. They're all Pass/Fail and have no influence on your GPA.
  • ceruleanyankeeceruleanyankee Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    Oh, and to harvardman, you have to take the swim test- it's mandatory for graduation. You'll probably just do it over orientation, though, and then you'll forget about it. You don't have to learn any strokes, you just have to get across the pool 3 times without drowning and without walking in the shallow end. If you can't do that, then you'll have to take beginner swim and then take the test in spring semester. But seriously, you could just doggie paddle if you wanted. Don't worry about it! :)
  • MUnitedMUnited Posts: 535Registered User Member
    what about using scuba gear during the swim test (jk) :p
  • harvardman1988harvardman1988 Posts: 345- Member
    oh, on the 2010 site, it said you have to do front then back then front or something like that. i dont know backstroke, thats why i asked
  • ceruleanyankeeceruleanyankee Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    Oh, really? As far as I remember, it was just to get across the pool three times. It may be one time on your stomach, one time on your back, and one time anyway you want. In that case, then you will have to learn a backstroke (elementary or regular), but neither are very difficult and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Cornell2009HotelieCornell2009Hotelie Posts: 1,059Registered User Senior Member
    If you're not sure what you want you want to do for your gym class, take bowling! It's so much fun to sign up with your friends, get a lane together, and just bowl for an hour and a half each week. The instructor really knows what he is talking about, and it's a completely laid-back atmosphere. Plus it's on North campus so you can roll out of bed and go. :)
  • AJKatesAJKates Posts: 726Registered User Member
    The first stroke is on your front, the second on your back, the last anything you want.

Honestly, if you can stay afloat in the water and aren't scared to death of a pool, you can pass no problem.
  • envelopesenvelopes Posts: 178Registered User Junior Member
    for the second lap on your back - can you just float/drift your way across the lap (with occasional backstrokes?)? :P

and uh. i heard you have to jump in the pool at the beginning to start your first lap? how deep is it?
  • SpanksSpanks Posts: 3,612Registered User Senior Member
    Don't worry about the swim test...some of the people definitely could not swim but passed by barely floating.
  • user8088user8088 Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Crap...I too have to learn the backstroke. The only stroke I can kinda do is freestyle.
  • KingsFan0421KingsFan0421 Posts: 447Registered User Member
    I just had my father give me a crash course in backstroke yesterday!! -- i definetly have to wear ear plugs tho or water will get in my ears (i've had major ear surgery twice..not fun lol)