Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Chances, Cornell Myth-busting, the New York Connection, and FAQs

Replies to: Chances, Cornell Myth-busting, the New York Connection, and FAQs

• StreIokStreIok Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Good day, everyone. Chance me, please? I applied a while back for Regular Decision, and I'll probably hear my decision in three weeks anyhoo.

Year: Senior in High School
    Applying: School of Arts and Sciences
    Current GPA: 92, All-Honors, Unweighted (Maybe 3.3 or 3.4?)
    SAT: 2290 (740 Math/750 Reading/800 Writing)
    College Credits: 23
    Extra-Curricular: Summer Computer Science courses at Caltech and Stanford w/ awards for best leader + application idea in each respectively, Previous + Current work with Google (awarded a grant from Google), 200+ Hours of Volunteer Work at the local hospital, Other Volunteer Work at Veterans of Foreign Wars + a local HIV center + my high school.

Thanks, and I know that despite a yes/no response, anything can happen considering how odd admissions decisions can be.
  • jackson61jackson61 Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    Chance me too?

2290 SAT, 3.7 UW GPA, SAT IIs = 800/800/750/730
    APs = 5/5/5/4 (taking 6 more tests this year)
    Pretty unique extracurriculars + pretty decent essay

@Strelok - perhaps 50/50? I think our GPAs may both be a bit low for Cornell :( http://www.collegedata.com/cs/admissions/admissions_tracker_result.jhtml?schoolId=787&classYear=2013 This site says 3.79... but I always heard somewhere around the 3.8-3.9 range D:

GPA may not be everything though - IDK how much weight Cornell places on the GPA in comparison to the other factors... and the rest of your app looks pretty good, so you definitely have a chance.
  • jackson61jackson61 Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    Also, how much do interviews count? If you had a really good one... does it have any impact at all?
  • acdc1272acdc1272 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Does anyone know if applying Primary/Alternate to Cornell lowers your chances of admission?
  • MyRealNameMyRealName Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    What's the deal with Cornell and SAT Writing scores? I'm applying ED to Cornell and I got an 800 on my SAT W section but a 760 + 710 on CR and M.
  • pokeachupokeachu Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @MyRealName it depends on the school really. In the end, it's really about hitting a threshold and then they look at grades, extracurricular activities, jobs, etc.
  • balhbalhbalhbalh Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    ACT comp 34 (m-34 e-34 r-34 s-33)

SAT SUBJECT TEST - Math 2- 800......Biology - 740

Highly competitive high school from CA. School GPA is 3.79 unweighted

Taking all senior year classes at community college (a collaboration with my high school and comm. college) - so all classes will be college level

APs taken are AP spanish (4), AP bio (4), AP eng lang and comp (4) (AP scholar award)

1st degree black belt in taekwondo
    Proficient in indian classical dance and indian classical music

Captain of a dance club in my school
    Teacher at dance school
    Volunteered at various places like dance programs, music programs for over 100 hours

Letter of commendation from PSAT score

Trying for comp science in school of engg

DO I stand a chance??????
  • balhbalhbalhbalh Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    chance please....see above....^^^
  • 0br01230br0123 Registered User Posts: 579 Member
    Please stop posting your chance posts here ugh
  • mfflforlifemfflforlife Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Does anyone know why Cornell tends to get so much hate? I don't get it. I'm going to be a Spring admit coming up this January!
  • cchangedcchanged Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    Hey everyone! For the health history form, does myopia (nearsightedness) count as an eye disease? I usually don't put it down as one, but now I am not sure anymore. Also, for the physical exam, what is it anyway? More specific or less specific than a regular doctor's check? (I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this area, but I have only been to one health check-up in the past nine years...)
  • ArachnoMeArachnoMe Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Can you indicate a second choice college when applying to Cornell? For example, my first choice would be CAS, but could I put CALS down as a second choice if I didn't get into CAS?
  • TiggyB62TiggyB62 Registered User Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    @ArachnoMe No you cannot. Cornell eliminated the "alternate choice" college in its application for '15-'16. You can only apply to one of Cornell's 7 colleges.
  • roboticsnerd33roboticsnerd33 Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    edited October 2015
    I have a question for you guys: if I potentially want to go into Finance or Investment Banking or a Hedge Fund (basically I want to work on Wall Street haha), would it make sense for me to apply as an ORIE or CS major at the College of Engineering, or as a Statistical Science/CS major at the College of Arts and Sciences? Which one would be "statistically" (see what I did there ;) ) in my favor? Are there Pros/Cons to either one?

*Some background*: asian boy at an asian high school that is very competitive and offers most AP's that are available to take. I did a chance-me a couple of months ago, which is pretty long (sorry..), and can be found on my profile. Will be taking the SAT for a second time in November, after a botched October attempt (not too sure what happened..) - I just scored a 2280 on a practice test, so I'm hoping for the best! EC's are the same, though.

Thanks in advance guys!
  • lostaccountlostaccount Registered User Posts: 4,568 Senior Member
    "basically I want to work on Wall Street haha)" Why the haha? Is that meant to discount the idea? Can you clarify?
This discussion has been closed.