Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Chances, Cornell Myth-busting, the New York Connection, and FAQs

Replies to: Chances, Cornell Myth-busting, the New York Connection, and FAQs

• luciferlucifer Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    How about Cornell's natural areas, they are owned by Cornell or just managed through contracts with state.
  • redcrimblueredcrimblue Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    All owned by Cornell. It is a contractual arrangement with respect to ILR, HumEC and the Ag school. They receive some funding from New York, and their research (particularly in Agriculture and Life Sciences) benefits much of New York directly, but everything about Cornell is private. All Ivies receive government funding. That does not make any of them "public."
  • deuteriateddeuteriated Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    depends on your major. personally, i think engineers have the most work...i room with one. as a human biology, health, and society major, i think i have a pretty decent load. with average effort, b's are pretty easy to get. those a's require a lot more effort though. and as far as being similar to any other ivy league school, i think it's actually the hardest. after all we do have the highest ivy drop out rate (i'm told). think about it this way, 86% of harvard students graduate with honors. that's crazy!!! that's not an honor's degree. talk about grade inflation, humph... at HumEc, less than 15% graduate with honors.
  • with_one_voicewith_one_voice Registered User Posts: 1,384 Senior Member
    What's the school w/ the highest suicide rate? MIT ?
  • biggyboybiggyboy Registered User Posts: 1,558 Senior Member
    i thought it was nyu at one point.
  • gomestargomestar Registered User Posts: 4,699 Senior Member
    MIT's rate is 5 times that of Cornell's.
  • biggyboybiggyboy Registered User Posts: 1,558 Senior Member
    wow, how do you know this information?
  • gomestargomestar Registered User Posts: 4,699 Senior Member
    it was published in a national study. I've just remembered the numbers by Cornell, MIT, and the national average. To be fair, I don't think MIT's is really 5 times, the study goes by ratios, Cornell is 4.5 per 100,000 students while MIT's is 20 per 100,000. Does this actually mean 5 times? Certainly not 5 times the total number of students. I don't want to make assumptions in my current wine riddled mind.
  • meestasimeestasi Registered User Posts: 1,116 Senior Member
    Well, MIT's sudent body is like 5 times smaller, so yeah, the data is somewhat skewed. Still, I think this year no one has committed suicide yet, so that's a good thing.
  • 38angel38angel Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I've heard rumours that Cornell's biology classes (plus all the phy/chem/math classes which bio majors are required to take) are devilishly difficult and that it's really hard to get good grades. Is that true?
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    No, I've avged over a 4.0 the last 4 semesters as a bio major.
    Hi norcalguy, thanks for replying =) Maybe you're just a genius because I heard that Cornell's bio classes (particularly the 'weeder classes' - which ones are these anyway??? - are darned hard) :P Over a 4.0? What's it out of? I thought the highest GPA was 4.0 but obviously I'm wrong.
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    A+'s are 4.3 so you can theoretically get a 4.3 every semester by getting straight A+'s (although not every professor gives A+'s). Straight A's will get you a 4.0. Toughest bio courses are probably Bio101-104 (intro bio) and genetics (BioGD 281). I haven't found any other bio course to be particularly difficult.
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User Posts: 2,717 Senior Member
    lol I'm not gonna lie, there should be a disclaimer after every comment

Norcalguy
    Warning: He's a freaking genius lol

:)
    Ahhh...thanks for enlightening me, Figgy .*grins*. Right. So which profs should I avoid like the plague because they refuse to give out A pluses?
This discussion has been closed.