Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

"Guaranteed Transfer Option"

diehldundiehldun Registered User Posts: 1,499 Senior Member
edited April 2012 in Cornell University
So I just checked my decision, and didn't get in to ILR :(

However, it says "We regret to have to tell you that we are unable to offer you admission to Cornell at this time... you will learn that the college is offering you a guaranteed transfer option. Please read the letter carefully and contact the college directly if you have any questions."

I noticed how it said "...at this time." What exactly is this guaranteed transfer option? Does everyone who gets rejected get this? I looked back at the CC archives about this, and they didn't fully answer my questions.

Basically, if I do well freshmen year in any college, etc., am I guaranteed a spot at Cornell for sophomore year???

Because of this, I don't quite know how to react...
Post edited by diehldun on

Replies to: "Guaranteed Transfer Option"

• sarahahahsarahahah Registered User Posts: 183 Junior Member
    yeah i got that too.. so we're GUARANTEED spots in soph year if we maintain certain grades?

oh i applied to HumEc btw if that makes any difference
  • HelloooHelloooHelloooHellooo Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    I got the exact same thing... anybody know what this is?
  • worth2tryworth2try Registered User Posts: 925 Member
    I also got that, but I'm kind of excited since Cornell was a reach.
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    I think you have to maintain a 3.0 or something at another university for your freshman year and you'll be guaranteed a spot at Cornell for your sophomore year and onwards. Congrats.
  • diehldundiehldun Registered User Posts: 1,499 Senior Member
    WOW! :) That just made my day, after being rejected by Princeton, Berkeley, and UCLA!

But does everyone who was rejected receive this, or just some applicants?
  • norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    lol What do you think?
    Okay... assuming that not everyone gets this opportunity.
  • CMB720CMB720 Registered User Posts: 687 Member
    just some applicants i think only like 30 or so in CALS
  • rw9700rw9700 Registered User Posts: 252 Junior Member
    did all of you guys apply to CALS?
  • bt073011bt073011 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Hey, i got the guaranteed transfer from ILR too. Are you considering transferring? I believe we have to take some required courses, maintain a 3.3, ... in order to be able to transfer
    Hey bt073011, looks like we're in the same boat here! I'm seriously considering transferring sophomore year to ILR... if the chances/odds are good.

Anyways, "congrats" to you for getting the option (I know that sounded kind of ackward... I've been having trouble explaining this rather unusual situation to my family/friends right now...)
  • ga213ga213 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    same here... for ILR.... i got into my #2 choice though so unless I hate it there... I doubt I will use my GT kind of glad i have it in case my school isn't exactly what I imagine it to be freshman year
  • hopefulseniorhopefulsenior Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    If I remember correctly, only CALS, HE & ILR offer the guarantee transfer. You need to maintain a certain GPA, & I think it's different for CALS, HE & ILR.

Congrats
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User Posts: 2,717 Senior Member
    JOIN THE CLUB! I'm pretty much ur big brother here lol. I go to Stonehill College and am going to Cornell next year. I'm an ILR GT (it's funny how when I got it I was like the only one to post here...it's actually how I found the site...just shows how much this site has grown). If you get above a 3.3 cum and get above a B in every class u get in AUTOMATICALLY! UR IN TO CORNELL BABY!!!! I didn't get it at first either...but guess wat guys, ur in. In a lil more than 1 year from now you can be a Cornell student. I chose to go to a college that was pretty good and gave me a good amount of aid. Stonehill is the #1 comprehensive college and I got around 27,000 aid (including grants, scholarships, and loans). Now I'm ready to go to Cornell! GREAT JOB GUYS AND GIRLS!!!!! Ur now in the cool club lol. (ILR usually has 40 people matriculate from GT option. They have these spots because people who go to internships and study abroad leave spots open. and we fill them. I'm a proud filler!! :) )
    Hey Figgy! :) Nice meeting you!
This discussion has been closed.