Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

accepted to College of Arts and Science without language?

NewbyrebornNewbyreborn Posts: 2,026Registered User Senior Member
edited March 2005 in Cornell University
has anyone been accepted to CAS without 3 credits in 1 foreign language?
i am not asking people who got accepted because they are athelete
Post edited by Newbyreborn on

Replies to: accepted to College of Arts and Science without language?

• arp6487arp6487 Posts: 442Registered User Member
    i had 5 years of french, je pense que m'aide beaucoup
  • sparticus800sparticus800 Posts: 4,092Registered User Senior Member
    It's unlikely. You were supposed to write a letter explaining any deficiencies. I would hope you did that. They told me they prefer 4 years when I asked if they were ok with me dropping spanish senior year. You should probably be damn good at something else if you dont have any languages.
  • geary86geary86 Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    I got into ILR without a language... well.. actually.. I'm an international student.. so i guess I don't need one.. (English is my second language and ILR doesn't seem to care)
  • sparticus800sparticus800 Posts: 4,092Registered User Senior Member
    yeah thats kind of different. English is sort of your "language" in terms of the one you learned without osmosis.
  • sabnetworksabnetwork Posts: 269Registered User Junior Member
    I only have two years of Spanish. I wrote a letter.
  • quynh2007quynh2007 Posts: 602Registered User Member
    i had 2 years of spanish and 2.5 years of french (technically 3 because that .5 was an independent study where I only went to class every other day--long story) but i took the regents in both languages (usually ppl take that after 3 years) and got a really good score on both. but, i had to explain why i didn't take 3 full years in ONE foreign language. but graduating a year early also helped my case. i think if you are from NY, you should take the regents to show you are at least proficient for up to 3 years worth, and if not, i wonder if your state as something similar...good luck
  • NewbyrebornNewbyreborn Posts: 2,026Registered User Senior Member
    i am an immigrant, speaks 2 languages including english :(,
    not very linguistic
  • readytoleavehsreadytoleavehs Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    i have two years of spanish and three years of japanese..my friend said that it will look bad that i didn't continue the spanish for another year