Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can I take a course without completing its prerequisite?

Mak5imMak5im Posts: 211Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2007 in Cornell University
Hello guys, I am thinking about finishing Math 192, 293 and 294 in next semester.. so I can get to more difficult engineering courses earlier and thus enhancing my research experience. I have studied most of Math 192 already but I am not taking the course. Officially I can't take 293 and 294 next semester since 192 is prereq of 293 and 294, but I guess no one really cares cause I m taking phy 213 right now without completing its prereq math 192.
So do you guys think taking 192 after I finish 293 and 294 would create any trouble? Besides me killing myself..? Thanks a lot.
Post edited by Mak5im on

Replies to: Can I take a course without completing its prerequisite?

• Ray192Ray192 Posts: 2,019Registered User Senior Member
    There's a departmental exam for people who want to skip 192. Take it an see.
  • towerpumpkintowerpumpkin Posts: 1,660Registered User Senior Member
    Just skip ahead. Are you taking all three next semester or just 293/294? 293 references 192 briefly at one point but if you're taking them concurrently that shouldn't be a problem. 294 is pretty much independent of all the other math classes.
  • lianrilianri Posts: 450User Awaiting Email Confirmation Member
    I know a girl who took both 293 and 294 last semester. She's one of those crazy A&EPs so I'm sure she had the same intentions you do... she did fine. Your professors aren't going to do any sort of background check to make sure you've taken everything in order.
    Good luck, though! That sounds hard.
  • Mak5imMak5im Posts: 211Registered User Junior Member
    thanks everyone! And lanri, I am one of those crazy A&EPs too, who just can't get enough of math and phy's torture. I may just take all three at once but finish self study for 192 in Winter break.
  • towerpumpkintowerpumpkin Posts: 1,660Registered User Senior Member
    I know plenty of people who did 293 and 294 at the same time; me and my roommate both did. It's definitely manageable...it only sucks when there are prelims since they're on the same day.