Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

History at Cornell?

OneWingedMadmanOneWingedMadman Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2005 in Cornell University
I'm considering majoring in History and Cornell's one of my top choice schools so I checked out the online course catalog for the history department...it seems like around 3/4 of the courses are "not offered this year". If I get accepted to Cornell I wouldn't be going untill 2006...will any more of these courses be offered then? Does Cornell have a great History program at all? That's important to me.
Post edited by OneWingedMadman on

Replies to: History at Cornell?

• sparticus800sparticus800 Posts: 4,092Registered User Senior Member
    not offered means nobodys taking them i think. they have so many course options if nobody is interested in taking them at sign up, (by nobody i mean less than 1 person) then they obviously dont offer it. many of the more advanced level courses involve having a 2 or 3 person class with the professor. Cornell's rediculously large course book will work to your advantage, not against it.
  • arp6487arp6487 Posts: 442Registered User Member
    i'm going to be a history major at cornell, they have a good department
  • Wharf RatWharf Rat Posts: 542Registered User Member
    I was a history major at Cornell. The department is superb. LeCapra, LaFeber, Kammen, Moore, Polenberg are all still there. I'm sure they've added some great teachers since then.

Furthermore there are wonderful professors over in Govt. (Lowi and Kramnick just to name a couple). On top of that the Philosophy and English Departments are really good and offer great supplements to the History department course offerings.

I think however that the fact that a course is not being offered means that the professor is not teaching it that semester not that there are no students taking it.
  • sparticus800sparticus800 Posts: 4,092Registered User Senior Member
    yeah if arps in it its def a nasty department...with mad surfing skillz