Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Should you buy a Laptop at the Cornell Store or at any regular store..like Best Buy?

aranenoaraneno Posts: 25Registered User New Member
edited June 2009 in Cornell University
I was wondering what is the benefit of buying a laptop at the cornell store? I was looking at the exact same laptop from cornell store...dell XPS and its 1600 something at cornell and at best buy its below 1000....with the same specs. Is there a discount for students? or is the 1600 already with the discount?
Post edited by araneno on

Replies to: Should you buy a Laptop at the Cornell Store or at any regular store..like Best Buy?

• dean5150dean5150 Posts: 318Registered User Member
    Everywhere I've seen said no advantage to buying from cornell
  • ResurgamBellResurgamBell Posts: 2,269. Senior Member
    DO NOT BUY FROM BEST BUY

check out NEWEGG for great deals and free shipping. if you just want a laptop that types and plays dvds then there are some really cheap ones for under 500 dollars on that site!
  • AnbuItachiAnbuItachi Posts: 1,348Registered User Senior Member
    buy macs from cornell store, thats it because its the same as apple store. everything else, buy elsewhere which is usually not best buy haha. newegg has good deals but there are often other good deals around. just do a search.

i notice there are pretty good lenovo ideapad/thinkpad deals often so you can check those out.
  • lianrilianri Posts: 450User Awaiting Email Confirmation Member
    Don't buy from the Cornell store. They mark up everything unfairly.
  • wafflewaffle Posts: 590Registered User Member
    comparing just dell online to cornell, from my experience i got an xps 1530 with a lot of good specs from the cornell store for 50 percent off from what it was at the dell online (though its the same site really, just marked down for cornell students). i don't remember the exact price but i know the original price through the dell store would've been over $2000. i didn't know about newegg until later though, so i'd compare the deal that you'd get from newegg with the one at cornell/dell store
  • ImTheHostImTheHost Posts: 275Registered User Junior Member
    Cornell's Tech Store has THE best deals for ALL Apple Computers/Laptops.

http://tcop.cbs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_main.html?p_catid=6

Everything else is fair game.

Oh btw, From now till September, buy a Mac Laptop, and get a free iPod Touch.
  • playhackerplayhacker Posts: 411Registered User Member
    You want a cheap computer that has everything you need, buy from manufacturer, customize it, apply coupon codes from here: logicbuy.com and you will be set.
    I got a computer, $1300 down to $850. A friend got one from $2000 to $1300.

And getting an Apple is a joke. Why limit yourself to one brand. The hype is not worth it. You want something that is solid and compatible with other software/hardware.
    The world was not made for Apple Computers, remember that.
  • TchaikovskyPianoTchaikovskyPiano Posts: 413Registered User Member
    And getting an Apple is a joke. Why limit yourself to one brand. The hype is not worth it. You want something that is solid and compatible with other software/hardware.
    The world was not made for Apple Computers, remember that.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "why limit yourself to one brand." Aren't you limiting yourself to one brand in buying a Dell, for example? Apple computers are solid and compatible with most important software. Even a noticeable but small portion of engineers use Macs. The only major thing they really are not good for is gaming.

They are, however, ridiculously overpriced, so the hype definitely is not worth it unless you're loaded.
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 17,204Registered User Senior Member
    Cornell store has an agreement with Apple and Dell to get an institutional education discount, which is a bigger discount than you would get yourself as a student.

I just went through it for a Mac. You need to go through the link provided by Cornell's technology store to get a quote from Apple (you'll need your cornell id and pw). Once you received the quote via email, NOT to contact Apple, you are to call Cornell Tech store, give them the reference number and they would order the Mac for you. If you contact Apple directly, they will not honor the price because it is a special price for Cornell, not for individuals.

I lucked out, because when I called Cornell to order the Mac, they happened to have a few left overs from the senior week that they had put on sale. I was able to buy a Mac for 300 less than what's listed on Apple's website.
  • jcas323jcas323 Posts: 567Registered User Member
    apples can run windows, and dont really even need windows except for gaming.. at this point the "world wasnt made for apple computers" argument is pretty over. i do agree on the price.. you pay a lot for aesthetics.

Best buy is not terrible though. My friends HP broke 3 times, and while it was a pain to send it back in to Best Buy to fix, they ended up giving her a brand new computer of her choice worth the same price she paid 3 years earlier.
  • playhackerplayhacker Posts: 411Registered User Member
    OS. When you buy Apple, you get Mac OS. Not that you can't get Windows too, but that's just extra costs, and Apple still get their money either way.
  • AnbuItachiAnbuItachi Posts: 1,348Registered User Senior Member
    for apples, why do i see the same price through cornell and on apple website w/ student discount?
  • aranenoaraneno Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    Would you recommend a PC or a MAC for engineering? Thanks for all the help
  • ResurgamBellResurgamBell Posts: 2,269. Senior Member
    i think it might be the same price.

does apple site also ship to cornell store?
  • oldfortoldfort Posts: 17,204Registered User Senior Member
    No, there is a 50-100 difference.