Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Dartmouth students: Did you take any fun ("fluff") classes in high school?

IZtryingIZtrying Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
edited March 2011 in Dartmouth College
I want to take a few fun classes in my junior and senior year of high school. Would that bad on my application? Did you take any fun classes in high school? What were they?
Post edited by IZtrying on

Replies to: Dartmouth students: Did you take any fun ("fluff") classes in high school?

• arcus1arcus1 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    Foods 1 and Science Fiction.

I warn you, though, that I had the worry that, because I had taken those classes, I would be barred from colleges like Dartmouth. Here was the concern that my course rigor would be dwarfed by that of other applicants.

I did manage to be accepted, however.
  • DungareedollDungareedoll Registered User Posts: 911 Member
    My understanding is that the schools are only interested in the grades and levels one takes in the 5 main subject areas- math, science, english, language, and social science.

The more AP's in these areas that you can take the better. These schools also look for kids to be well rounded and "normal". They don't appreciate the "bookworm kids" as much as you may think.

Good Luck......

My S took wood shop every year. He loves working with his hands. It was the one class that he could take a deep breath and chill for 40 mins. He wrote about that in his essays and talked about balance and how important it was to him to have a break in the day. He's been accepted to Notre Dame, Vandy, Colgate, Tulane, and Richmond and every one of the schools has given him some kind of scholastic nod.... ie. nominated for the Hesburgh Yesko scholarship, nominated for the Richmond Scholarship, Full tutiion to Tulane, and AMS to Colgate. No we haven't heard from Dartmouth but so far taking wood shop hasn't hurt him at all.
  • meowmix0669meowmix0669 Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    I took symphonic choir for $hits and giggles sophomore year and I'm a freshman now at Dartmouth. I also took excel and powerpoint along with word and access because of my schedule (two different classes). Mind, I also took 14 AP's, so... (selfcall).
  • buffalowizardbuffalowizard Registered User Posts: 337 Member
    I took 4 years of choir (last two "honors"), 3 years of orchestra, and 4 years of studio art. However, I took the AP Studio Art and AP Music Theory exams my junior year to turn what might have been considered "fluff" classes into a real asset. But then, I also took as rigorous a schedule of "hard" academics as I could, and I think that's what mattered most.
This discussion has been closed.