Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Why Dartmouth?

John GlassJohn Glass Posts: 14Registered User New Member
edited April 2007 in Dartmouth College
I am currently planning an east coast college trip, and due to time/money limitations I am trying to narrow down the number of colleges I visit to places where there is an actual possibility I might attend. So to be direct, why should I consider Dartmouth over HYP? (I have been accepted at Harvard, Princeton, and Dartmouth, while waitlisted at Yale)
Post edited by John Glass on

Replies to: Why Dartmouth?

• wisconsinguywisconsinguy Posts: 263Registered User Junior Member
    Academics are not the difference--you'll have the same quality academics at Harvard, Princeton and Dartmouth (though you'll probably get more attention from professors at Dartmouth and Princeton).

What I'd focus on is quality of life. Students are happy here-just about everyone will tell you that they absolutely love it and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.

You also get opportunities, particularly in the outdoors, that you simply will not get anywhere else. Not many other colleges own tracts of 20,000 and nearly 10,000 within two hours of campus, that completely exist for your use. Not many other colleges maintain 70 miles of the Appalachian Trail (the AT was literally 100 feet from one of the dorms I've stayed in).

That's what I really think sets Dartmouth apart.
  • half_bakedhalf_baked Posts: 200Registered User Junior Member
    I'm a Dartmouth student who really loves the school, but I'm not so foolish as to lose myself in dogmatism. If I had the choices you did and had a limited travelling budget, I'd visit Harvard and Princeton and skip Dartmouth. You might (will) have less fun in college, but you'll walk away with a more prestigious degree.
  • wisconsinguywisconsinguy Posts: 263Registered User Junior Member
    half_baked,

I don't think I'm being dogmatic here. I can't imagine being anywhere else but at Dartmouth, and know that almost all of my friends think the same. When I talk to my friends at Harvard, Princeton, etc., they don't say the same thing. Granted, it's a limited sample size (about 10 and 5, respectively) but I think it says something.

You will get a more prestigious degree by going to Harvard or Princeton, but I personally don't think the academics will be significantly different. I'd rather have a better quality of life than a more prestigious piece of paper at the end of four years.
  • StrawboyStrawboy Posts: 251- Junior Member
    I heard many employers avoid Harvard/Princeton and go for Dartmouth grads cuz they're less cocky, etc. But then again, that's just heresay. And mostly only in the US, seeing as how HYP is obviously better known worldwide.
  • dcklouddckloud Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
    John Glass, if you're going to visit Harvard, you mind as well visit Dartmouth too.
    You can get to Dartmouth from Boston on the Dartmouth Coach, which runs between the Dartmouth campus and South Station Bus Terminal in Boston. South Station Bus Terminal is literally a 20 min. subway ride from Harvard Square.

The bus takes a little less than three hours each way. The commute time is low enough that you can stay in Boston and visit Dartmouth for a day, or you can arrange for an overnight stay at Dartmouth.

http://www.concordtrailways.com/dartmouth_coach.htm
  • slipper1234slipper1234 Posts: 9,085Registered User Senior Member
    Visit Dartmouth, its worth it.
  • JetXJetX Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    if dartmouth owns tracts for skiing or w/e, can students use it for free?
  • dcklouddckloud Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
    It's free if you sign up for PE Skiing/snowboarding. The PE gym also includes transportation (15 min ride). This is what most people do if they really like skiing.

Otherwise, you have to pay when you go, but a season pass is only $150.

The bus there is $4 on weekdays, but free on Saturdays.

Occasionally, they'll be events where it's free (or $1) to go skiing.
    can you be a first timer in skiing/snowboarding and sign up for that PE?
  • rightnotleftrightnotleft Posts: 434Registered User Member
    you most definitely can be a first time skier ... in fact, that is primarily who the PE class is geared to (I know, I taught it this year, and plan to for the rest of my time here)

Skiing (and, I suppose, snowboarding) is one of the best ways to enjoy nature, and it'll give you a reason to actually look forward to, and enjoy, the winter.
  • bulldogbullbulldogbull Posts: 448Registered User Member
    about half of my PE class had never been on skis before. its the same way in just about all PE classes
    do most ppl bring their own stuff? how much to rent ski/snowboard equipment? (or is it free rental if you take PE?)
  • MChongMChong Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
    For the skiing/snowboarding, I understand it's a class. Are there rental snowboards available? I have skis, but I was looking into snowboarding more (I've only been twice and enjoyed it).
  • bulldogbullbulldogbull Posts: 448Registered User Member
    its pretty split between rentals vs. owning your own stuff. i rented mine. its not free if you take PE, but its a good deal. and yes, you can rent snowboards too.
  • MChongMChong Posts: 155Registered User Junior Member
    For snowboards, do they actually have a decent set-up, do you know? I know that I've tried strap-ins and clickers, and I hate clickers.