Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how much does skiing cost?

adjladadjlad Posts: 291Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2005 in Dartmouth College
I've never skied before and was wondering, besides the equipment, how much woul a day at the slopes cost at Dartmouth? DO Dartmouth students get a discount?
Post edited by adjlad on

Replies to: how much does skiing cost?

• sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,804Super Moderator Senior Member
    You can learn how to ski at Dartmouth and at the same time fulfill one of your 3 physical education requirements at the same time, I know that the cost is very reasonable and much less than the student rate of $20 (for a non-dartmouth college student) Rental $25 (non dartmouth students /employees)

http://skiway.dartmouth.edu/rates.shtml

I remember my daughter telling me that it was less than $300 if you wanted to take skiing winter term (she couldn't fit it in her schedule) The cost included transportation, lift tickets, rentals .
  • jprencipejprencipe Posts: 440Registered User Member
    Expensive, probably ... I'm going to buy a snowboard if I go.

Joey
  • skyandseaskyandsea Posts: 94Registered User Junior Member
    less than twenty for a day of skiing is an AMAZING bargain. take advantage of it.

also, the best deals on ski/snowboard equipment are usually late march-april. might make a good present if you get in...
    Well, I got a likely ... so I'm just waiting to hear from other RD colleges. I would really be thrilled to go to Dartmouth, but I want to keep my options open until D-day.

I should shop for snowboarding/skiing stuff though ... because it is something I want to continue, lol, although at Dartmouth it would be much easier to, than at say, Duke (just hypothetically speaking ... I have no idea if I got in or not).

Joey
  • wisconsinguywisconsinguy Posts: 263Registered User Junior Member
    I should add that they have some special bargain days too--usually at least one of the Winter Carnival days you can ski for 99 cents. And, if you're more experiences and have a ride, you can buy season passes to Killington, Sugarbush, Suicide Six, etc. for reasonable prices.
  • bluirinkabluirinka Posts: 2,056Registered User Senior Member
    no way, that is so incredibly amazing, wisconsin.

i'm thinking if i get in, i'm just going to buy skis. i'm 4'11 and i don't think i'm going to be growing anymore anyway
  • gracilisaegracilisae Posts: 1,409Registered User Senior Member
    Okay, we're going to have to

a) find a ride

and

b) take a CC reunion ski trip up to Killington.

Don't even question it.
  • bluirinkabluirinka Posts: 2,056Registered User Senior Member
    hahah oh gosh that'd be so fun! I love Killington, we used to go there every December till my baby bro was born...last time we went to Mount Snow, though, which was pretty goddamn sweet.

Ah, Killington...the gondolas...The Great Eastern, which is that reallly long green that our entire party of some twenty people would all ski on together after lunch for like an hour b/c it's the only one that every was able to survive on...skiing IS breathing, sky. it's such a natural high, i love it. yet another reason i couldn't see myself applying to Southern schools lol
  • theo235theo235 Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
    Skiings always too much. I heard about some sort of a student pass that you can buy for the whole year that covers a bunch of resorts like Killington, Stowe, Sugarloaf (?), Suicide Six, and a few others. Anybody know about skiing at Jay peak or Tremblant?

I'm definitely bringing skis next year, maybe more than one pair if I can fit them into my dorm room.
    And I am learning how to snowboard!! Mainly because I'm hopeless right now and I would like to become much better, and it's so much fun.

Suicide Six ... that just reminds me of some of the horrible pictures of ski accidents on despair.com posters.

Ineptitude - "If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Joey
  • astarblazeastarblaze Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    That's an AWESOME quote, and true, too. Need to remember that for future snowboarding/et-all-new-experiences reference...
  • appproapppro Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    I'm from the Rockies...I miss my REAL mountains....*sigh*....vail, steamboat, jackson hole....I miss you.