Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What does deferred even mean?

KLLeaderKLLeader Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2007 in Dartmouth College
What the hell does deferred mean?

Do I really have a shot anymore, or should I just cut my losses now and forget about Dartmouth?

Does anyone even get denied ED? Or is it just Accepted or Deferred?

I am just one of the countless applicants that they put of the denial until springtime?

And if I do have a shot, what can I do to improve my chances? The next SAT is in January, would that do me any good?

I guess I'm just bummed right now. Why did I have to fall for Dartmouth. I had been content with state school for the majority of my life, and now Dartmouth comes in. Well, CONGRATS to all of you who were admitted. And for us who were deferred, better luck next time.
Post edited by KLLeader on

Replies to: What does deferred even mean?

• ohmadreohmadre Posts: 587Registered User Member
    KLLeader - I was pulling for all of you and hate anyone to be disapponted.
    Those who are deferred, from observation, you do still have a chance and if something comes along to bolster your profile in the next few months, definitely send it along to Dartmouth. Reread this post: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/dartmouth-college/426635-some-hopeful-news-those-you-who-might-deferred.html

But, of course, do your best with any other applications you have yet to complete and allow yourself to get excited about a few alternative schools. Best luck - you will be a great student wherever you go and, I suspect, will love your college experience wherever you go.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,853Super Moderator Senior Member
    Does anyone even get denied ED? Or is it just Accepted or Deferred?

Yes, you will recieve one of 3 outcomes: Accepted, Denied, Deferred.
    What the hell does deferred mean?

It means that you are not out of the race yet. It means that your application will be looked at again with the regular decision pool of applicants and you will recieve a final decision in April.

This now means that you should send updated transcripts (especially if your grades have gone up)

If you have retaken your tests and your scores have improved send them

If you have achieved any awards/ special recognitions or achievements since you applied ED, let them know.

If you are contacted for an interview take it. Communicate that Dartmouth is still your first choice and if admitted you will attend.

Send another Recommendation. Have your Counselor send the midyear report and evaluation.

If possible, have your GC call the college to see if s/he could get a little feedback on your application.

It's not over for you yet. While it may sound easier said than done, keep your head up, work on your applications because in the end you will end up where you need to be.

all the best
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,419Registered User Senior Member
    Remember, however, that there are dozens of terrific schools. Dartmouth is great, but it's by no means the only school that can make you happy.
  • KLLeaderKLLeader Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the input, I'm just really disappointed right now. I can't really think of anything but to blame my low SAT scores, 1940. If I retake in the January 26 date would my scores come out fast enough to help me in my second decision? Well, I'm glad that I'm not one of the ED applicants who waited to start other applications. I've already filled out seven other ones. And I guess this deferral means that I didn't waste my money on those application fees.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Posts: 11,419Registered User Senior Member
    KLLeader: You were smart, and you are prepared, and you will get in somewhere great. And because you are smart, you will do really really well. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.
  • fernwoodchickfernwoodchick Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    I kind of hate being deferred. I really wanted to get in.
  • CllgemomCllgemom Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    I feel all of your pain- I saw first hand how disappointed my son was last year... but in an even more competitive year, you all should know you have very very strong applications which were close. I think they might be a little skittish about the yield too, so who knows, they may take a hard look at that ED pool again (you've shown you'll single choice them already, and they are loving that lower yield). If a month or two from now, Dartmouth is still what you want let them know. Give them a reason to pull your application back out (do something to tell them about), they like perserverence. My son got into close to every place he applied: Duke, JHU, Georgetown, Vandy, BC, W&L, Davidson and was waitlisted at MIT (Dartmouth was the only Ivy he was interested in), so I am thinking most of you will do very well in the regular pool if Dartmouth isn't in the cards.
  • KLLeaderKLLeader Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    Wow! Guess what a "friend" just told me. He says that I got deferred so that Dartmouth can see if they have enough qualified black applicants in RD, if they don't then they'll accept me. If not i'll get denied. Does anyone think thats true?
    If you are contacted for an interview take it. Communicate that Dartmouth is still your first choice and if admitted you will attend.

I have already had an interview, do you think that I'll have another for RD?
  • CllgemomCllgemom Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    Klleader,

If you fall into a URM pool- you will be compared to others in the pool- but that can be good, because you might compare very favorably as applications keep coming in. Keep sending them updates as outlined above by other posters, and communicate interest- so your application isn't forgotten. I would wait until January/February, when they are reviewing the applications and making RD decisions to do this it ideally is a combination of "new" accomplishments, or filling out and helping them to understand what you have done and makes you different- make sure the really know you by the time they make those final decisions. I suspect this could end well for you if you want it to (I don't want to hold out false hope but I think it's worth a shot if that's what you want).
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,853Super Moderator Senior Member
    Does anyone think thats true?

Not trying to rain on your parade but...

Keep in mind that the URMs are still underrepresented in the RD pool, so unless one definitively wants to attend a particular school ED.

It has been my experience (in our house, professionally and just observing the past 5 Dartmouth cycles) that many URM students (especially stronger students) apply during RD, because they know that they do have the option to choose and refuse, also Dartmouth will end up getting RD applications from URMs who were deferred/denied at other Early programs.

The admitted class of African American students does remain pretty constant year over year.