Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Greek Life at Davidson

djames6336djames6336 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited March 2012 in Davidson College
I'm going to Davidson next year and had a few questions about greek life at davidson, namely the fraternities.

How hard is it to get into a Fraternity?
Do the Fraternities each have different personalities?
Can you have a good social life if you aren't greek?

Any other insights on greek life will also be greatly appreciated!
Post edited by djames6336 on

Replies to: Greek Life at Davidson

• stanford78stanford78 Posts: 245Registered User Junior Member
    My son graduated from DC last spring and my daughter graduates this spring.

Greek life at Davidson is limited to fraternities. There are no sororities, but the women have eating houses/clubs that substitute.

My impression is that, as you'd expect, each of the fraternities and eating house has their own personality, some more distinct than others.

Its also my impression that fraternity membership is not overly competitive but every house may not be a fit for you and you may not be a fit for every house. You still want to choose wisely and so do they.

Membership in the eating clubs is sort of a self-selection process with a little bit of lottery thrown in. Its not a competitive "rush" situation.

The "structured" social scene at Davidsion centers around Patterson Court (the physcial location on campus where the fraternities and eating houses are located (all non-residential). Almost everyone lives in the dorms and on-campus apartments. Fraternity and eating house members tend to congregate together in the dorms. But I think you can have a perfectly acceptable social life without joining one.

I hope that helps.