Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Good Luck Prospies

NEValuNEValu Posts: 146Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Denison University
Be it Denison or some other deserving institution, best of luck to all as you open your envelopes. The waiting game is just about over. Breathe a sigh of relief and focus on all the great new experiences that await you.
Post edited by NEValu on

Replies to: Good Luck Prospies

• Whistle PigWhistle Pig Posts: 4,093- Senior Member
    Ditto!

And when final decisions are made? Make them final decisions. No turning back. Move on. Do your best.

This is like getting married. And as my wife has assured me, I'm not the only one she coulda married and been happy with.

Frankly, I only believe the first half of that statement.

But seriously, once all the elements are known, weighed, evaluated ... from that moment on, the only thing that will matter, for the most part ...attitude you take to your campus. There are angels and jerks on every campus. Good profs and otherwise. Very little magic in the whole. The magic comes from what you make of your matriculation. Blessings to all. Think "attitude."
  • jkiwmomjkiwmom Posts: 1,354Registered User Senior Member
    The waiting is hard :O. I'm the type of person that makes plans that are a year away, so I am practicing a lot of meditation these days ;). Ooooommmmmmm. Otherwise the date of Mar. 18 keeps intruding on my peacefulness!

@WP, I could not agree more that what ever choice is made, life is most enjoyable when you embrace that choice with enthusiam.
  • summerstormsummerstorm Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks! I'm waiting anxiously for March 18 as well...seems like it can't come soon enough...
  • samjg93samjg93 Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    How do you know that March 18 is the date?
    Denison sent S a letter a couple weeks ago and it said Mar. 18 date was when letters woould be sent. So actually it will take a couple days for S to receive his notification as we are in VA. Probably won't know until the following Monday or Tues. Good luck!!!!
  • Final4X5Final4X5 Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
    Several weeks ago, D was told she was nominated for the Wells Scholarship in the Sciences. 2 days ago we found out she was not awarded it. Kind of bummed :(
  • HMSmomHMSmom Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    Same here (but it was the Dunbar). Had she received the award, it would have been her top choice. Now she's looking at the schools where she got substantial scholarships as front runners. I'm bummed, I think it's a perfect fit for her. Does anyone know who gets the Carr awards? Any chance those are Wells or Dunbar "runner-ups"?
  • minoafrauminoafrau Posts: 519Registered User Member
    Carr, Dunbar, and Wells Scholarships are all $35,000 a year. Denison has numerous other merit scholarships that range from $8,000 to $18,000 a year, so even if you don't get one of the big ones, you probably will get something.
  • DougBetsyDougBetsy Posts: 5,828Registered User Senior Member
    jkiwmom, final4x5, and HMSmom, I sorry to read about your disappointment. Would you mind sharing some of your kids' basic stats, such as GPA and SAT/ACT scores? It would help the rest of us "ballpark" our merit chances.

Thanks. :)
    We are actually still waiting to hear whether S gets the Paschal Carter or not. Hearing of these disappointments is snapping me back into reality. Sorry to both families and I am hoping that you are still going to receive one of the bigger scholarships...

I always feel funny about posting my son's stats, because I was not even close to being the student he has been in HS. So am posting with the FULL disclosure that these in no way reflect on ME , lol! I am happy for him and proud, but take no credit if you see what I'm saying.

His stats are:
    Public HS in DC suburbs (1700 students)
    stats: GPA 3.85
    SAT CR:800 W:790 M:710
    SAT II: US History: 780, Literature: 680
    APs: Psych: 5, BC Calc:5 w/AB subscore:5, US Hist. 5 (currently taking AP English, AP Govt, AP Bio, and expecting all 5 again)
    National Merit Finalist
    Cross Country
    Scholastic Gold photo portfolio
    Scholastic Silver, photo
    AP scholar
    President Photo Club
    National Honor Society
    Guitar
    Creative writing
  • Final4X5Final4X5 Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
    DougBetsy,
    GPA 3.95 UW, 4.3 W
    ACT 32
    IB Candidate

Best of luck to those still waiting!
  • DougBetsyDougBetsy Posts: 5,828Registered User Senior Member
    Wow, those are both great stats. Regardless of the outcome, you both can be proud of your kids. Thanks for sharing. Good luck.
  • DufourDufour Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    DU's officer said that Denison has already sent out the Express mail on 15th. Good luck everyone!
    Ooooooh, now I'm REALLY nervous :O........crossing all fingers and toes...
  • newjersey17newjersey17 Posts: 420Registered User Member
    Thanks for the update. Interesting that it went out express mail on the 15th. :)