Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Social life at Dickinson for non-greeks?

bookmobilebookmobile Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2010 in Dickinson College
How domininant is the greek scene at Dickinson? We visited this summer and there were a lot of things my son liked about it. But he is not a partying kind of guy and not interested (at this point) in rushing. Would he be unhappy there socially?

Thanks in advance for any info, and any other input about your Dickinson experiences that might be helpful.
Post edited by bookmobile on

Replies to: Social life at Dickinson for non-greeks?

• researching4embresearching4emb Posts: 492Registered User Member
    My daughter has the same question. She loved Dickinson but does not want to be in a sorority.
  • intparentintparent Posts: 12,559Registered User Senior Member
    I have posted on this info in the past, but I will do so again. My D is a junior at Dickinson (abroad this semester), and had zero interest in Greek life going in (in spite of pressure from her grandma :)). She has made tons of friends through various clubs, activities, and classes, and although I think she went to a Greek party or two just to see what it was like her freshman year, since then she has had a very busy social life with no involvement in the Greek system. Although they are present on campus, they do not dominate. She definitely would not have wanted to go to a school that was heavily Greek, and has been very happy at Dickinson.

A couple of her friends have a bit of involvement. One is in a service fraternity. I don't think they have a house, and their focus is on service projects. A boy from her dorm freshman year who is gay joined a frat, and as far as I know is getting along fine in it.

My D is also not much of a partier. I would guess maybe one drink a month (that was actually her estimate; we were discussing this when recent article came out on students drinking more heavily abroad -- she said her rate abroad is about the same as Dickinson, and that is what it is). And as I said, has found a happy, busy social life without it.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. Dickinson has been a great fit for her!
  • bookmobilebookmobile Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the helpful info. I'm glad your D is having such a good experience.
  • researching4embresearching4emb Posts: 492Registered User Member
    Thanks, intparent, that's very encouraging. I will pass along to my daughter. She just loved the look and feel of the campus, and all the people (including a professor) she talked to.
  • maxossmaxoss Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    My son is a senior at Dickinson. As I understand it, there are only about 5 frats, and they do not have residential houses. The school has been discouraging frats for a number of years, and several have been discontinued there. So, with so few frats, most of the students don't belong. My son has had a great experience. Carlisle certainly doesn't offer much entertainment, but the surrounding area does have some great hiking, lakes, parks. My son has made terrific friends, and they seem to have a lot of fun. Intramural sports are plentiful and popular.
  • peaceplease9100peaceplease9100 Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    Don't even worry! I am a sophomore at Dickinson and I don't party, drink, or participate in greek life and I am having an amazing time. I love it so much here, and I think that your son will too. there is always SO much going on on campus!