Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

What are some things you wish you learned about college/college admission process?

awesomeirlawesomeirl Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
Be it the ability to afford college, campus life,scheduling (and forgoing sleep), classes. Basically anything that you feel will contribute to the next generation of college applicants/students :D
Post edited by awesomeirl on

Replies to: What are some things you wish you learned about college/college admission process?

• awesomeirlawesomeirl Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    EDIT: I accidentally wrote "which" instead of "wish"
    D'oh!
  • awesomeirlawesomeirl Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    ^^ Preach.
  • Nouve55Nouve55 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    It's not nearly as difficult to get into a solid college ( top 40 LAC) as all the rumors lead on to be! Colleges ( esp LAC) look at your transcript holistically and therefore being ranked in the top 35% ( without padding with overinflated weighted electives) is noted by the really good schools!

Also not all GPA's are created equal even within the same school! My S had a 3.2 GPA and the schools he was admitted to ( no hooks, not a URM) touted avg GPA's of 3.5-3.8! Even his weighted GPA was a 3.5 or 3.6 depending what you consider and 89.1 avg to be! Obviously there is more to the process than just grades and honestly none of his colleges stated that 3.2 was even at their 25%! Hence by definitions none of his applications were safeties or even matches but he got into virtually all of his schools!
    It's not that he didn't want to apply to safeties but quite honestly he didn't care for any colleges that accepted.
    GPAs of 3.0!
  • FlyMeToTheMoonFlyMeToTheMoon Registered User Posts: 2,536 Senior Member
    Apply to several matches and safeties, so if you do not get accepted at your reaches, you still have a choice.
  • Big10ChampBig10Champ Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    At the end of the day, a lot of it is really a crapshoot. I mean this in the most positive way possible!

I just finished a season of grad apps with 5 offers and 13 rejections. Some offers came from "elite" programs and some rejections came from programs technically less ranked. At the end of the day, the odds are so stacked against the likelihood of admission (granted it depends on the program, but it seems like most CC kids are applying to upper echelon programs) that you can't take rejection as a reflection of yourself, yourself as a past student, nor yourself as a future undergraduate or graduate.

And always always always include safeties [that you could see yourself attending and being happy with].
  • muckdogs07muckdogs07 Registered User Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    If you have a top choice and can afford it, apply ED. It will dramatically improve your chances.
  • FrogshollowFrogshollow Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I have to say, what I have taken away from the process is that it's a crap shoot. My S is at a top boarding school with honor roll and solid test scores. Varsity athlete all 4 years for 2 sports, captain of team and involved with many activities. He got several wait lists and rejections from the schools he wanted and got acceptance letters to his safeties. There really didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to any of it. Fellow class mates with lower credentials did get some ( a few) acceptances that S didn't , there was no rhyme or reason. Someone close to a small New England college told me the admissions office starts with the SAT sore they want and then just reach in like a bowl of gum balls and grabs the others..... Hardly seems fair.
  • DeblergDeblerg Registered User Posts: 458 Member
    Don't decide that a particular school is your "top choice" or "dream school" and get hung up on that one. Only put schools that you like on your list, and take the time to find things that you love about each one. That way, you'll be excited about all your options, making the (inevitable) rejections from a few schools seem less significant because of the great ones you did get into.
    Also, do what you want to do, but keep in mind that you're also building a college profile. If "what you want to do" involves sitting around watching television and procrastinating (don't lie, that's totally what you want to do. That's actually what I'm currently doing, so I should really take my own advice...), then you're going to have a hard time. Find a balance between finding EC's that you like and that can build a good application. Don't do something you dislike just because "it will look good" (and likewise don't miss out on something you do like because "it will look bad"--worst case scenario with this one you just don't list it, yet I hear people at my school doing it all the time). But do keep in mind that EC's can be a deciding factor and is a huge way of advertising the kind of person you are and the kinds of things you will bring to a college campus.