Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is 32 ACT good enough for Yale?

ReappeaRReappeaR Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
I feel pretty good about my Math/English ACT scores but my reading/science sucks sooo

Replies to: Is 32 ACT good enough for Yale?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,150 Senior Member
    A 32 is low for Yale. What is your GPA, EC's etc. etc. Are they outstanding?
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 25,988 Super Moderator
    edited September 10
    I'd suggest taking Yale at their word. This is what they say:
    There are no score cutoffs for standardized tests, and successful candidates present a wide range of test results. During the most recent year, test score ranges (25th to 75th percentiles) for enrolled freshmen were:

SAT-Verbal: 710-800
    SAT-Math: 710-790
    SAT-Writing: 720-800
    ACT: 32-35
    https://admissions.yale.edu/what-yale-looks-for

Scores are one part of the admissions packet, but far from the only one. Once an applicant passes the stats threshold (which you have) Yale will be looking at the balance of your application. That said, there is no magic formula to get into a school like Yale. Because Yale evaluates holistically, there is no way to predict if you will get into Yale or any particular school. Best of luck.
  • VANDEMORY1342VANDEMORY1342 Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    @ReappeaR
    If you are URM, or have some other significant hook.
  • ReappeaRReappeaR Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    @skieurope What's 710-800 Math equal to if converted to the ACT?
    edited September 10
    @skieurope What's 710-800 Math equal to if converted to the ACT?
    There's a very active thread on the topic.
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-act-tests-test-preparation/1890397-sat-concordance-table-compare-old-and-new-sat-scores.html#latest

Since I'm in college now, I spend zero time analyzing how the new SAT compares, but that does not stop others. :)
  • Middleman68Middleman68 Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    The 25th percentile is a mirage for an unhooked applicant, regardless of promises of holistic consideration.
    The 25th percentile is a mirage for an unhooked applicant, regardless of promises of holistic consideration.
    Perhaps, and I'm not disagreeing. Of course, we don't know if the OP is hooked or unhooked, so assumes facts not in evidence. Additionally, as I've said many times in the past, the plural of anecdote is not data.
  • Middleman68Middleman68 Registered User Posts: 171 Junior Member
    As does your reading of my post. No anecdote was offered.
    too much pessimism bro
    @skieurope That thread is conversion for old/new SAT
    Do you have one for SAT-> ACT?
  • IxnayBobIxnayBob Registered User Posts: 4,045 Senior Member
    edited September 10
    I think you wanted your friend Google to find the SAT Math to ACT Math concordance table, right?

http://catalog.usu.edu/content.php?catoid=12&navoid=7347
  • BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    I don't believe that if you are at or just below the 25th percentile and are unhooked that you have no hope. Your probabilities are certainly much lower. You can look at the Yale CDS and see how quickly the percentage of matriculated students drops between the 700-800 bands vs the 600-700 bands . https://oir.yale.edu/sites/default/files/cds2016-2017.pdf While Yale does not break out data by admissions rate per band, some other schools do. See Stanford for its 2016 freshmen profile http://admission.stanford.edu/apply/selection/profile16.html. My personal belief is if you are towards the 25th percentile, and are unhooked, you need to be very "spiky" and have essays, LoR's and EC's that give life to and support your spikiness. If you are a "round" student, I'd definitely retest to try to get to a 34+, and even then it will still be a reach dependent on your essays, LoR's and EC's.
  • gibbygibby Registered User Posts: 10,141 Senior Member
    edited September 11
    My take, based upon the experience of both my kids, and other students, who have applied to Yale:

Although a few students (1-5 kids) are accepted in the SCEA round with a 32 ACT (or the SAT equivalent), it DOES NOT happen for most applicants. Most applicants applying in the SCEA round with a 32 ACT (or the SAT equivalent) are deferred and MOST applicants applying in the RD round with a 32 ACT (or the SAT equivalent) are rejected. The EXCEPTION is if the applicant is a recruited athlete, a URM, a legacy, the son or daughter of a multi-million dollar doner who has a building named after them at Yale, or is a student with extraordinarily "spikey" interests. Is that you? We don't know!

Bottom Line: a 32 ACT is most likely a deferral in the SCEA round and a reject in the RD round.

• YaleGradandDadYaleGradandDad Registered User Posts: 1,037 Senior Member
    I wouldn't include legacy in the above list of exceptions to the likelihood of rejection with a 32 ACT. Legacies typically have higher scores than the general applicant pool and in the context of their financial and academic advantages are held (appropriately) to a higher standard. My guess is legacy helps at the 34-35 ACT level when the pool of super qualified applicants can run deep and that hook may pull you out of the pile. I think many alumni parents would subtly encourage their kids to seek better fit elsewhere to avoid disappointment and application if their kid got a 32. Throw in a Yale application to see if you can "win the lottery"? We know better.

For the typical over achieving non recruited applicant, I would agree with gibby that ultimate success with a 32 is poor and success with SCEA is only a dream.
  • 1Tiger211Tiger21 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    A 32 ACT was effective in getting the Valedictorian of a local Public Florida School class of 450 into Yale this year. This student wasn't great at math and was rejected by many universities including legacies. The #5 of that class with a 35 ACT and a gap of 1/10 of a percentage point from the gpa of the valedictorian is attending Princeton after being regected by other "top 10" universities. I do remember seeing that the quadruplets had scores lower than a 32 ACT and the were all accepted to Yale. I don't believe being one of a identical quadruplet, is considered a hook. You have a chance , stay positive. I know of many 32-36 ACT earners that are brilliant, kind, and with hard earned GPA's that aren't accepted , for what ever reason. You never know research Yale and explain why you would fit. Go for it.