Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

comprehensive college?

bond35bond35 Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2006 in College Search & Selection
What does best comphrehensive college mean?

I know its a category like top nationals and liberals arts but what exactly does this mean?
Post edited by bond35 on

Replies to: comprehensive college?

• NwestmomNwestmom Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    Comprehensive colleges focus on undergraduate education, like liberal arts colleges, but fewer than 50% of their degrees are in traditional liberal arts majors (like english, math, econ, history, languages, biology, chemistry, etc). Their additional areas of study are usually more vocational or pre-professional in nature and may include things like business, engineering, education, nursing, physical therapy, and other health-related professions.

I think more students will be focused on training for a specific career rather than general intellectual exploration, but that is just a generalization. I also think their reputation is more local to regional, rather than national or international, but that is also true of the vast majority of liberal arts colleges. Unless you are considering a very high-demand field, choose a college near the area where you want to work.

It is hard to say how comprehensive colleges would place if ranked with the LACs, but certainly not among very top ones (ie: number 5 comprehensive college does not equal number 5 LAC). I doubt if any offer the acedemic rigor of Swarthmore, but the rop ranked ones will be solid academically and attract some top students from their area. (This is true outside the northeast, anyway--colleges seem to be more "stratisfied" there.)

If you want a program that is not offered at LACs, and you don't like big universities, they could be your best option.
  • bond35bond35 Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
    if i'm going to declare undecided, would it be better for me to go to a LAC than a comprehensive one?
  • NwestmomNwestmom Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
    Well, if you really think you may want to study criminal justice, I don't think you will find that offered at many LACs. Including comprehensive colleges and smaller universities would give you more to choose from. I sense it is the lack of prestige and selectivity at these types of schools which is bothering you. You have to decide which is more important to you-- going to college with high scoring/high GPA students, or going to a college that offers criminal justice.