Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Do you live in a bubble? NPR quiz

Replies to: Do you live in a bubble? NPR quiz

• emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,253 Senior Member
    I love green bean casserole but several years ago one of my cousin's announced that since we have all our teeth no more green casserole at Thanksgiving. Now this cousins loves canned peas and eats them right out of the can so I really think she had some nerve.

And my sister will only eat the cheap smelly tuna and she eats it right out of the can, too,

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,744 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    In California, we may have a liberal bubble, but we are very diverse in regards to ethnicity and religion. Travelling outside of my California bubble, into the Midwest, one of the things I notice immediately is how white it is. It's striking, though mostly not uncomfortable. The one exception was West Virginia where I was most definitely racially profiled. So, I'd argue that there are multiple kinds of bubbles and that we should try to understand where people are coming from outside of our various bubbles.

Presumably, the reverse sometimes happens. Indeed, on the web, you can find complaints about how places like Hawaii and California are the "most racist" places because of various kinds of petty racism that exist everywhere, but are invisible to white people living in mostly white areas, but more likely to be encountered by white people in places where most people are not white.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 28,882 Senior Member
    I tried to do your quiz, but I had a problem. I made a from scratch Bean Casserole from Cook's Illustrated. That probably gives me -5 points. I usually just get regular turkey, not frozen, but I haven't saved receipts either. So is that 2.5 points? I make homemade cranberry sauce, but no fancy ingredients. It's the recipe on the package. Cook ten minutes with a cup of sugar and let cool. So Maybe 1 point? And I like ice cream with my pie.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 11,808 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    You get 1 point for your scratch green bean casserole. :) @mathmom Since I'm still in edit mode, I updated my points to reflect your choices. You're a 3 or 4 depending on your ice cream preference.
  • dfbdfbdfbdfb Registered User Posts: 2,960 Senior Member
    10 Thanksgiving points for me!*

Going with the spirit of the original quiz, this means I fall into the incredibly meaningfully narrow 3–24 point range, which is "An average first-generation middle-class aspiring foodie, with holiday food tastes that reflect working-class origins."

* Mainly because I do the cream of mushroom soup green bean casserole. It's a magic food, green bean casserole is, because it tastes amazing on Thanksgiving—but absolutely horrible every single other day of the year.
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 11,253 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    If it's my big family Thanskgiving (there are 40 of us give or take)
    1) no green bean casserole.
    1) At least one turkey will be free range/butcher/whole foods and 1 couid be frozen butterball if it was my assignment because that is what I like. When it's not mine, I don't know because I don't ask.
    3) homemade cranberry sauce with variety of added ingrediants. If it's my assignment I make it with clementines.
    4) fresh whipped cream

So I think that would be 2 or 3 points I guess.

If just for my wee family/friends
    1) orig Campbell's soup recipe green bean casserole.
    2) the one my grocers sells for $0.69/lb with coupon.
    3) homemade cranberry w/clementines
    4) I serve the pie with vanilla bean ice cream but it's the dairy store own brand which is much better then regular store brand.

So, 8 or 9 pts give or take.

• warbrainwarbrain Registered User Posts: 642 Member
    My family usually eats Indian food for Thanksgiving. So we don't have green bean casserole, but we don't have cranberry sauce either.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,008 Senior Member
    @doschicos:
    Take the family to Cracker Barrel or a cheap all-you-can-eat buffet place for Thanksgiving dinner: 20 points

Show up at your neighbors house for Thanksgiving dinner with your brood because you see a lot of cars there and go over with a package of "heat and bake" parkerhouse rolls: 25 points

BTW they do do cranberries in the south.
  • fractalmstrfractalmstr Registered User Posts: 2,023 Senior Member
    lol @ thanksgiving quiz

I scored a 16. I could live on canned cranberry "sauce" and green been casserole alone ;)
  • mom60mom60 Registered User Posts: 6,909 Senior Member
    Thanksgiving
    Growing up frozen turkey, Butterball if my Mom had the extra money. Cranberry jellied in the can with the ridges. Cool whip and frozen pies. 12 points
    My in laws where I've spent the last 28 Thanksgivings-
    2 or a 3 depending on her turkey purchase. For many years she did a free range or hormone free bird as my SIL only ate hormone free. The last few years as she has aged she has switched to Butterball. We have fresh green beans.
    I have never been to a Thanksgiving meal with a green bean casserole.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 11,808 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    @jym626 During my time in the south and having had a few southern guests at my table, the majority of them have never had cranberry sauce at their table. Maybe a molded jello salad or some kind of ambrosia fruit thing, but not cranberry sauce.

I'm a 7 on my Thanksgiving quiz with 5 of those points coming from the jellied cranberry sauce but we'll also have the gourmet homemade version on the table as well.

But, I've got plenty of turkeys roaming around in my yard if anyone is looking for some.
  • mathmommathmom Registered User Posts: 28,882 Senior Member
    What do we get for watching the Macy's Day parade and then eating dinner at the Harvard Club? :D

I grew up with both canned and homemade cranberry sauce because my midwest Dad preferred canned and my New England Mom preferred homemade.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,008 Senior Member
    edited November 2016
    Well all I can say @doschicos is I've lived in the South for 41 years and regardless of where Thanksgiving was held, there was always cranberry sauce.
  • nottellingnottelling Registered User Posts: 4,329 Senior Member
    I object! Homemade cranberry sauce without the extras is more "U" than the kind with walnuts and orange peel. So the 1 and 0 should be flipped for those. :-)