Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is Duke known for?

slashftwslashftw Posts: 17Registered User New Member
edited January 2012 in Duke University
The title says it all. Like Harvard is known and Yale are know for Leadership, what is Duke known for??
Post edited by slashftw on

Replies to: What is Duke known for?

• UltimateFrisbeeUltimateFrisbee Posts: 722Registered User Member
    They are known for "leadership"? That is certainly a quality that defines many of the students, but I wouldn't say that is what the schools are known for in the strict sense.

Duke is commonly known for BME, medical research, basketball & rivalry, and being an elite school in the South.
  • EnticingPlagueEnticingPlague Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    March madness domination
  • ToujoursdukeToujoursduke Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    I applied because Duke was known for great undergraduate research, Biomedical Engineering and their research hospital.

Mainly though, I just love it's campus--Gothic Wonderland, anyone?
  • TheBlueDevilTheBlueDevil Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    I feel like you're attacking this question from the entirely wrong perspective. Don't look for the world to inform you. Rather, I would challenge you to inform the world. Spend the time researching, visiting the campus, and approaching alumni and current students personally. By simply posting on this forum, you are addressing a wide audience with a plethora of different experiences and a myriad of varying ideas. Some will be accurate; others will not; and still others will be way out of left field. Ergo, I would ask you to step forward and take the Bull (City) by the horns and find for yourself what you think Duke is.

If you do this, then you may surprise yourself and realize that not only is Duke known for athletic excellence, elite academia, a unique student body, phenomenal research opportunities and scientific resources, and a huge web of international opportunities, but Duke students are behaving exactly as you are. They act with intense curiosity and a will to learn more and explore beyond the horizons.

What I can tell you for certitude is what Duke is NOT known for. We are not known for being socially repressive, as students often form the greatest friendships of their lives at Duke--friendships that constitute more than someone in your study group. Friendships that pique your interest while expanding you as a person and pushing you to your potential.

Duke is not known for following the grain. Whether it be a BME major or a PoliSci major or anything between, students from Duke are always following interesting and less traveled paths in life. By giving students everything they need to succeed, Duke allows its alumni the optimal opportunity to not only take what they learn and apply it to the world but to change the world for the better.

Finally, Duke is not known for being boring. These will be the best four years of your life, I assure you. There is no shame in admitting that because even if you end up making billions and billions of dollars and retiring at 30, spending the rest of your life skiing in the Alps or surfing in Malibu, there will never be another time in your life where so many individuals are so drastically bent on self-improvement and sharing themselves and their experience with others. Duke is an incredibly dynamic place; I'd like to ask you to get to know us better!
  • RedBalloonsRedBalloons Posts: 36Registered User New Member
    ^ Avoiding the question.
  • Boxer007Boxer007 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    medicine & law

simple as that!
  • nycdave21nycdave21 Posts: 150Registered User Junior Member
    Great Basketball team and a strong alumni presence in the finance and consulting industries