Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Future at Duke?

coco222coco222 Posts: 54Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Duke University
I recently got back my ACT results. I am applying to the college of engineering. My composite score is a 29 with a 32 math subscore. I have attended engineering days at the University and had several tours.
As far as other stats go, I have an U.W. 4.0 GPA and am first in my small class at a private Illinois institution. I have taken the hardest course load possible.
I am actively involved in just about everything the school has to offer.
Basketball 4 years - 2 year captain, 2 time 1st team all conference
Soccer 4 years - 1 year captain, 2 time 1st team all conference, Conference MVP
Track/Baseball 4 years - captain of baseball
Student Council 4 years - VP, Student Body President
Drama 3 years - 4 plays, 2 lead roles
Scholastic Bowl 4 years - Captain of JV and V squads
Essays
Excellent and not just saying that. I have had an Ivy reviewer give them high praise.
2 Mission trips - Puerto Rico and Indian Reservation
Tutoring job with an Ethiopian adoptee
NHS, teacher awards, etc..
No hooks with legacy things
White male
Little engineering extracurriculars, but none are really offered at my school. Will this greatly hurt me? Or is being well-rounded sufficient?
Honest answers please, I know my Standardized stuff is a bit low...Is it a long shot or do I stand a reasonable chance?
(0/100, 20/80, 40/60, 60/40, etc...)?
Thank you very much!
Post edited by coco222 on

Replies to: Future at Duke?

• stevem1928stevem1928 Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    The Pratt ACT range (25%-75%) last year was 33-35. You will see lower ACT scores when the entire university is added in. Trinity has slightly lower scores. Do you have any AP credit? I think your odds would be less than 25%, if you do not have AP credit. If you have AP and did not list them, maybe your chances would go up.
  • tennisforalltennisforall Posts: 98Registered User Junior Member
    My brother has several very good friends that are involved in admissions at a school as selective as Duke. If you ask them it is not about what gets you accepted when one or more of your credentials fall below the schools standards for acceptance. A 29 ACT certainly fits that definition. The question is what about you excludes someone who meets all criteria since Duke has more totally qualified applicants then they have positions. If you know what that is you have defined the elusive randomness of college admissions.
  • Leggomyeggo990Leggomyeggo990 Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    Hmmm I'd say a 30% chance. Your ACTs are a little low, but everything else is good. But, excellence is a standard for applicants at Duke. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • mike2012mike2012 Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    Do try to improve your standardized test scores, but don't fret if you don't get them up there. College admissions is one of the most unpredictable things out there, so definitely give it a try even if you're not confident.