Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Short-Term Illness Notification and Midterms

transferrtransferr Posts: 29Registered User New Member
edited September 2009 in Duke University
Can anyone explain the deal with short-term illness and midterms?

If I fill out a form and miss a midterm, do i basically not get a grade for that exam or do I make it up some other time? Is it up to the teacher? Is it basically impossible that i will be marked down in some way if i have a short-term illness form?
Post edited by transferr on

Replies to: Short-Term Illness Notification and Midterms

• transferrtransferr Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    Also, when are you supposed to submit it? the day before the midterm?
  • SBRSBR Posts: 2,777Registered User Senior Member
    The answers to your questions are highly variable among the teachers.

Almost all of the professors that I've had will excuse an absence on the test if you file the illness form while some also require that you notify them by email before the start of the exam. The remedy is usually either to pro-rate the rest of the exams and the final, to give a makeup, or to give you a choice of the two(very rare). Check your syllabus, many profs clearly state their policies there.

Essentially, the short-term illness policy AFAIK doesn't really specify how professors deal with the absence except that the student shouldn't be penalized. The rest is up to the prof. Of course, your use of the form can be subject to scrutiny by the prof or the dean should you be suspected of abusing it but other than that, I don't think it's possible to be "marked down" for its use.

As for when to submit it, use common sense. It should be the point at which you definitively know you won't be able to take the test. The earlier the better (as a courtesy to the prof) while accounting for the possibility of you recovering in time. It goes without saying that that point should always be before the actual start of the test.