Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best type of engineering?

ChardoChardo Posts: 1,808Registered User Senior Member
edited April 2011 in Engineering Majors
Let's assume for a moment that a student has the goods to succeed at any engineering discipline, and has interest and passion for several. What type of engineering offers the best prospects for job placement, security, and career earnings?
Post edited by Chardo on

Replies to: Best type of engineering?

• boneh3adboneh3ad Posts: 5,135Registered User Senior Member
    While there isn't really a best kind of engineering, there is most definitely a best kind of ice cream: mint chocolate chip.

I hope this helped.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Posts: 15,997Super Moderator Senior Member
    No, no, no, chocolate chip cookie dough is the best, obviously!
  • cosmicfishcosmicfish Posts: 3,086Registered User Senior Member
    While bone and Maine have both made excellent suggestions, I would note that mint can affect your palate for a while after eating, so CCCD may be a bette rchoice if you have any interest in transitioning to something else in the short-term. On the other hand, mint is also a breath freshener, so it really depends on your individual intentions.
  • yg7s7yg7s7 Posts: 876Registered User Member
    Ehh the OP is asking which of the Engineering disciplines has best "job placement, security, and career earnings," assuming one is equally interested in them? I thought those were objective things?
  • ChardoChardo Posts: 1,808Registered User Senior Member
    So frozen dairy engineering is the way to go. Which are the top ranked schools for fdE?
    Wisconsin of course. Isn't that all Wisconsin is? Frozen dairy?
    yg7s7 wrote:
    Ehh the OP is asking which of the Engineering disciplines has best "job placement, security, and career earnings," assuming one is equally interested in them? I thought those were objective things?

How is that different from asking "assuming one likes all types of food equally, what type of food is best to eat for dinner in terms of overall satisfaction, price, effort to make it and time spent on the toilet afterwards?"
  • maeamaea Posts: 726Registered User Member
    Guys let's be serious here, the OP wants real advice, so let's at least do our research before giving ridiculous answers.

Le Mars, Iowa is the ice cream capital of the world (Le Mars, Iowa - Ice Cream Capital of the World). According to CollegeBoard, the nearest university to that which has an engineering department is Dordt College. This college offers General Engineering as a major, and this would certainly be as oriented toward frozen treats as one could hope from an accredited university.
  • GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Posts: 2,844Registered User Senior Member
    ***feet in the air laughing***
  • cosmicfishcosmicfish Posts: 3,086Registered User Senior Member
    Le Mars?!?!?

Penn State has the Creamery - one of the best places to get ice cream in the world. It is also home to the Ice Cream Short Course, best known for teaching a couple of guys named Ben and Jerry how to make real ice cream. Turns out PSU also has a decent engineering program...
  • aStyleaStyle Posts: 973Registered User Member
    food engineering.

or is that food science?
  • alchemist007alchemist007 Posts: 419Registered User Member
    Petroleum Engineering.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Posts: 15,997Super Moderator Senior Member
    ^Hmm, I haven't heard of that flavor of ice cream. Sounds too greasy to me.
    Greasy ice cream? I can't imagine that would be a good experience.
  • eyeheartphysicseyeheartphysics Posts: 609Registered User Member
    come on guys.

vanilla.
  • Soon2BEngineerSoon2BEngineer Posts: 105Registered User Junior Member
    Ok, I don't understand this Ice-Cream thing people do here? Is it for when someone asks a stupid question or something? I've seen it on old threads.