Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Structural vs Transportation Engineering

andrew61987andrew61987 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
edited May 2011 in Engineering Majors
I'm having a helluva time deciding between these two sub disciplines for my CivE undergrad. I'm already 2 years in, just starting upper div, so the classes have been general until now.

The interest level between the two fields is about equal for me, and I have no issue taking a job that doesn't relate to the degree, so if either degree gives me more options outside the field then great.

Being able to take a job anywhere in the USA is important to me. I'd rather have less pay and more options (with regard to locale) than more pay but be restricted to a few ultra-high population areas. (I'm not saying pay is unimportant, it's just a shared priority, to say the least.)

What's the job outlook in metro areas with populations less than 1,000,000? (As compared to the LA, SF, DFW, NY, ChiTown type mega-sprawl areas which I would love to avoid.)

Better yet, are either of these degrees more suited to more adventurous locations like Alaska, or some of the more rugged north/western states? I've always dreamed of doing specialty engineering work waaaaay off the beaten path, for what it's worth.
Post edited by andrew61987 on

Replies to: Structural vs Transportation Engineering

• Come_Sail_AwayCome_Sail_Away Posts: 197Registered User Junior Member
    Im going to bump this because I also want to work in one of those less often thought of states like Alaska, Montana, and other states like that.

But just my little two cents on which to choose. If you want to work in places like that there isnt a problem with either or, and at least I think as populations start rising and people start needing more places to live those places will be great choices. Structural is def the more popular of the two but I have looked into transportation and it looks very interesting to me, so I dont think you can go wrong either way! But why not try Transportation if your more of the adventorous type
  • andrew61987andrew61987 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    The more I look into transportation engineering, the more I feel like it might send me spiraling towards politics. :\
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,879Registered User Senior Member
    While you wouldn't be dealing with politics directly as a transportation engineer, the field is heavily influenced by it.
  • andrew61987andrew61987 Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    Forgive me but I have to bump this =)