Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How much can one expect to make in Computer Science...?

naokifreshnaokifresh Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2011 in Engineering Majors
With a BS Computer Science,

from a university under the 'Greenes' Guide' and Great Lakes & Midwest section here:
Public Ivy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how much can one except in an entry-level Software Engineering position to make as a salary, and if they graduate mid year (January) instead of June when most people do

I've heard a lot of numbers but what can one really expect?

Let's say you also have 2-3 months of 1 co-op or internship experience somewhere, a career skills and practice course while on study abroad, and fluency in English and native Russian, and also have learned Japanese and German language (proficiency)
gpa that is 3.5+
Post edited by naokifresh on

Replies to: How much can one expect to make in Computer Science...?

• BigAarstBigAarst Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Same as all the other BS in CS graduates - $60k per year.

And if they try to offer you $50k to $55k, say, "What do you take me for? I can't even tie my shoes in the morning for that kind of money. Let's get real or quit wasting my time."
  • aegrisomniaaegrisomnia Posts: 1,025Registered User Senior Member
    Check the BLS OOH. I don't see how anybody else's guess could be better.

Starting, you can expect around $60k, as BigAarst suggested. That number will go up around big cities and down in rural America (tracking the cost of living).
  • HotChocolateHotChocolate Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
    I'm not trying to scare the OP or hijack this thread, but one of my closest guy friends graduated with a BS in CompSci. After hunting for a job for a couple months, he's working an entry-level job for a mediocre hourly wage... nowhere close to the $50-60K as most people say a CompSci grad would make. Could this simply be his lack of work experience/he probably didn't take on any internships during his undergrad? At most, he worked a previous job doing something computer related but it was a few months at most.
    I don't think his lack of an internship or previous work experience would have done it. I'd be curious to know if he went to a relatively well-known university, if his GPA was over 3.0, and if he was willing to relocate to find a job. Any one of those three things could prevent someone from hitting the average salary.
  • naokifreshnaokifresh Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, I am willing to relocate..and hopefully I do get well over a 3.0 (i had 3.84 in high school)

I plan to relocate anywhere and just work for the best possible salary for up to maybe 5 months (not that I would tell the employers that), living cheaply, and then use the saved up money I made to relocate to where I actually want to live and search for work there. Then I would also have had experience and the second first job would be easier to find. Good plan?
    The details could use a little work... make sure you have a job offer on the table where you want to live before you quit and relocate. It's a lot easier to find a job if you currently have one than if you are unemployed.
  • davidthefatdavidthefat Posts: 1,521Registered User Senior Member
    Google is your friend. Literally. I've heard the working conditions at Mountain Avenue Google Headquarters is top notch.
  • aegrisomniaaegrisomnia Posts: 1,025Registered User Senior Member
    I'm not trying to scare the OP or hijack this thread, but one of my closest guy friends graduated with a BS in CompSci. After hunting for a job for a couple months, he's working an entry-level job for a mediocre hourly wage... nowhere close to the $50-60K as most people say a CompSci grad would make. Could this simply be his lack of work experience/he probably didn't take on any internships during his undergrad? At most, he worked a previous job doing something computer related but it was a few months at most.
    There is probably more going on here than you're letting on.
  • GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Posts: 2,853Registered User Senior Member
    Ummm....although it was 20 years ago...

- I had no prior programming experience before college
    - I had not one AP credit
    - I was not a "full" CS major.....a Math/CS type
    - Did not have a high GPA
    - I never had an internship
    - Undergrad at Michigan State....not top-10 or even top-20.
    - Worked 1 year for the College of Medicine developing/administering their patient database system. Only worked 15 hours/week....LIED on resume/interviews and said I was working 32 hours.

Got a job right after undergrad with Westinghouse Energy Systems in Pittsburgh, PA. Never been unemployed since.
  • yagottabelieveyagottabelieve Posts: 542Registered User Member
    There are many opportunities for software engineers in the Silicon Valley. However, I would highly recommend that before you move here, you have a job lined up (because the cost of living is high). If you don't have a job lined up, you should at least have some kind of track record (e.g. have developed a popular app, web site, or contribution to an open-source project), so that people are aware of you and can help you find a job, give you angel funding, etc.

The hot subfields of software engineering in the Silicon Valley include smartphone app programming, social network programming, and some cloud computing/virtualization.
  • davidthefatdavidthefat Posts: 1,521Registered User Senior Member
    You can always try the aerospace/aeronautical industry. As planes get high tech, I am pretty sure the demand for software engineers are going up. Try JPL (Pasadena, California; but they just got a budget cut, I've heard ~300 employees getting laid off), Boeing, Lockheed Martin, SpaceX. Don't always assume software engineering is for games and social media.
  • SimbotSimbot Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    "After hunting for a job for a couple months, he's working an entry-level job for a mediocre hourly wage... nowhere close to the $50-60K as most people say a CompSci grad would make. "

The $50-$60k number assumes the person is working an as engineer of some sort. What you're saying is that he wasn't able to get a job as an engineer, and took some other lower paid job.

Internships, GPA, etc. have little to no bearing on the salary you are offered. They will help you get a job offer though. Employers don't adjust salaries based on GPA.
  • TomServoTomServo Posts: 2,047Registered User Senior Member
    Start your own software company and the sky is the limit.
  • webasswebass Posts: 666- Member
    I hear mixed opinions. Does the rank/prestige/name of the school matter a lot when you have a good GPA and some work experience/internships?