Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Hierarchy of engineering majors

norwichnorwich Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2011 in Engineering Majors
Can someone explain to me the way that engineering majors are distinguished within the profession? An engineering friend recently made a disparaging comment about civil engineers not being "real" engineers, and that the really smart students majored in electrical engineering or chemical engineering. Is there a hierarchy? If so, can some of you state it here?
Post edited by norwich on

Replies to: Hierarchy of engineering majors

• GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Posts: 2,856Registered User Senior Member
    I heard that there is an apricot-flavored ice cream coming out in January 2012.

:-)
  • MarisashanaMarisashana Posts: 117Registered User Junior Member
    That friend's comment is silly. Don't get caught up in some bizarre hierarchy; engineering's awesome no matter what flavor it comes in.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Posts: 18,838Super Moderator Senior Member
    That sounds good, GLOBALTRAVELER! Where does it fall in the hierarchy with chocolate chip cookie dough, though?
  • uclaceeuclacee Posts: 421Registered User Member
    norwich wrote:
    An engineering friend recently made a disparaging comment about civil engineers not being "real" engineers
    funny, as civil engineering is the oldest discipline. there used to be a time when when you said "engineering" it couldn't mean anything other than civil engineering. Every other engineering discipline borrowed the term "engineering."
    But that being said, as a civil engineering major, I concede that EE and CS are harder. I won't grant you chemE, though.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Posts: 4,351Registered User Senior Member
    I can deduce that your friend must be a chemical engineer, because no self-respecting electrical engineer would recognize ANY of the other disciplines as "real" engineers. Just ask any of us. Heh, Heh.

Hence chemical engineers, being inferior, would have to include us EEs if they tried to claim themselves as "real" engineers.
  • chaoswithinthedchaoswithinthed Posts: 346Registered User Member
    I think it's mainly do do what people think of. People think engineering is fancy. Electrical Engineers work on circuit boards and stuff, fancy. Chemical Engineers work on chemicals, fancy. Mechanical Engineers work on machines, fancy. Civil engineers work on roads, not fancy.

Civil engineering isn't just roads but most people I don't think know that.
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,883Registered User Senior Member
    With any field, there are "fancy" projects and there are mundane projects. And of course, perceptions of what's "fancy" and what isn't differs from person to person. Somebody can think of circuits as boring, chemicals as boring, and machines as boring.

chaoswithinthed, whereabouts are you from? I went to school in an urban area and most people associated civil engineering with skyscrapers and bridges (cool in my book, of course, haha). Roads were probably the last thing people thought of.
    Yes, I think "skyscrapers" when I think of civil engineers!
  • chaoswithinthedchaoswithinthed Posts: 346Registered User Member
    chaoswithinthed, whereabouts are you from? I went to school in an urban area and most people associated civil engineering with skyscrapers and bridges (cool in my book, of course, haha). Roads were probably the last thing people thought of.

I'm in College Station. I know when I think of civil, I think of skyscrapers as well! Being a Structural Engineer that's what I want to do. My explanation about roads and civil not being fancy isn't my view, but it's just what I've heard from other people. I hear it all the time from my friends about how my major is easier. Some of it I think it joking and some of it is serious. I just shrug it off and don't worry about it. I was in the exact same classes as these people in lower level and did better than them in them too.
    How's this for "boring?" London Aquatics Centre, 2012 Olympics, Olympic Aquatics Centre, Zaha Hadid

Scroll down for photos of the hyperbolic roof.
    When I think of civil, I think of sewage, which (by my book) is awesome beyond belief! I love sewage!
  • angryelfangryelf Posts: 506- Member
    Imaginary engineers > any other type.
  • FutureVpFinanceFutureVpFinance Posts: 1,671Registered User Senior Member
    Is there a hierarchy for ice cream? I hope someone can help me out. My original thought was:

Chemical Rocky Road
    Electrical Cookie Dough
    Mechanical Mint
    Petroleum Peaches and Cream
    Industrial Cookies and Cream
    Nuclear Vanilla
    Aerospace Chocolate

Please correct me if I'm wrong
  • GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Posts: 2,856Registered User Senior Member
    Is there a hierarchy for ice cream? I hope someone can help me out. My original thought was:

Chemical Rocky Road
    Electrical Cookie Dough
    Mechanical Mint
    Petroleum Peaches and Cream
    Industrial Cookies and Cream
    Nuclear Vanilla
    Aerospace Chocolate

Please correct me if I'm wrong

All of those are nice flavors.