Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Math related majors... (engineering)

jasonk510jasonk510 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited January 2012 in Engineering Majors
Hi, I'm currently a junior in High School and I'm interested to major in math related majors and I came down to 3 choice.

1. Engineering (Software Engineering)
2. Architecture
3. Accounting

I've heard engineering requires sooo much work and stress...

Would you recommend majoring in engineering in college?

And any comments for other math related majors (architecture, accounting)?

Thank you so much!!
Post edited by jasonk510 on

Replies to: Math related majors... (engineering)

• GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Posts: 2,853Registered User Senior Member
    Software engineering is a methodology of building software. You do not need to major in software engineering to DO software engineering. A computer science major or a math major with a computer science emphasis can be software engineers.

As for the math involved, if you are a CS major, you will need:

Calculus I
    Calculus II
    Linear Algebra
    Discrete Math/Structures

If you are a Math major, you will need to add on:

Calculus III
    Differential Equations
    Analysis or Real Analysis or Advanced Calculus
    Abstract Algebra
    Numerical Analysis
    Probability
    Mathematical Statistics
    ..and a few selected math electives

As a junior in high school, you should be starting Algebra II this coming semester....then Trigonometry next fall and finish up with Pre-Calculus.
  • Godot17Godot17 Posts: 244Registered User Junior Member
    Well, I wouldn't say accounting is too math related. I don't even think you'll use any skill above Calculus. Where as in engineering, you'll regularly use calculus, or in your case, discrete mathematics that might make use of calculus once in a while. I am not sure about architecture, but that field has slightly less employment opportunities than engineering.

The main recommendation is to definitely major in engineering, but if you REALLY are not a high stress guy, accounting might do, but architecture will have more 'real' math content than accounting.
  • MajjesticMajjestic Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    Is this a joke thread? The math involved in architecture, engineering, and accounting is so trivial that one can probably teach an ape to do it.
  • ShacklefordShackleford Posts: 609Registered User Member
    Majjestic, that might be true for architecture and a lesser extent accounting, but not engineering.
  • angryelfangryelf Posts: 506- Member
    shackleford, many engineering tracks, albeit not all never require anything above diff equations.
    Not exactly what any rational person would consider complex.
    Accounting doesn't rquire anything above addition/subtraction and even then, you will always have a computer to do it for you. That being said, most business colleges will require calc 1-2, stats and possibly linear algebra/diff equ.
  • DreburdenDreburden Posts: 297Registered User Junior Member
    Shackleford, do not feed this troll. I suggest that you use the 'report post' button on him and then add him to your ignore list.
  • aegrisomniaaegrisomnia Posts: 1,025Registered User Senior Member
    Frankly, I agree with Majestic. :D