Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Explain How Degree in Computer Science is one of the highest paid & high unemployed

Hence9Hence9 Posts: 28Registered User New Member
edited January 2012 in Engineering Majors
Bonus Question: Is a Bachelor Science in Computer Science (Bsc) the same as Bachelor Computer Science (BCS)? If not what's the difference.
Post edited by Hence9 on

Replies to: Explain How Degree in Computer Science is one of the highest paid & high unemployed

• aegrisomniaaegrisomnia Posts: 1,026Registered User Senior Member
    What makes you think CS graduates get paid more? What is their pay? How does this compare to the pay of various kinds of engineering graduates? What is your source?

What makes you think CS graduates have high unemployment? What is their unemployment? How does this compare to unemployment of various kinds of engineering graduates? What is your source?

The BSCS vs BACS vs BCS thing is hard to say unless you name the school(s) and program(s) you're talking about. It could merely be an artifact of the way the university administration is structured, or it could be a deeply significant indication of the thrust or rigor of the program.
  • Hence9Hence9 Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    What makes you think CS graduates get paid more? What is their pay? How does this compare to the pay of various kinds of engineering graduates? What is your source?

What makes you think CS graduates have high unemployment? What is their unemployment? How does this compare to unemployment of various kinds of engineering graduates? What is your source?

Unemployment --> BBC News - 'One in 10' UK graduates unemployed

High Pay --> News Headlines

Of course there are more sources
  • al6200al6200 Posts: 1,579Registered User Senior Member

It is much higher, especially at the right tail. I don't know of any engineering firms that start their employees out at >100k per year, yet there are several software firms that do this.

I would be really surprised if this were the case. If you can't get a real CS job after graduating, you can always fall back on a lower level software engineering or IT job.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 37,529Registered User Senior Member
    Labor market conditions, as well as possibly the definition of job titles, differ in different countries (you listed one UK source and one US source).
  • Hence9Hence9 Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    Well according to headlines, Comp Sci grads have one of the highest starting salaries and are in demand, however they are one of the highest unemployed bunch, which of course sounds contradictory with the supply and demand law. Maybe this just applies for some parts of the world.
  • angryelfangryelf Posts: 506- Member
    I don't know of any engineering firms that start their employees out at >100k per year, yet there are several software firms that do this.

Curious as to which ones?
    Also, is this for undergrads or people with masters?
    Seems unlikely that there are that many software firms that pay that much more than the googles and microsofts of the world but I guess it's possible.
  • VeliaceVeliace Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Computer science is an extremely wide field. Let's say you were looking at writing scripts for a website. This website *probably* doesn't want a COBOL, C engi, MATLAB, or BASIC programmer; they likely want someone with PHP/html expertise, and maybe java/flash/xml depending on what part of the site they are designing/operating. I would see which languages are in demand and make sure that you learn a languages that will continue to be useful.
    The sort of company you want to work for will have preferences on languages for the sorts of jobs they want done.
    @Hence9:
    If those sources are both for the UK, then that is strange. If not, it isn't strange, and it probably means unemployment for CS grads is lower in America and pay is lower in the UK. I find it unlikely that unemployment is high for US CS grads, since there are more jobs in software engineering, programming, databases and networks than in all kinds of engineering, combined (and I assume there isn't one CS-related graduate for every engineering graduate... if I recall, that has always been abundantly true every time I've checked a school's enrollment statistics).
    For example, a WSJ blog (College Majors and Unemployment Rates - Real Time Economics - WSJ) suggests unemployment for CS grads is 5.6%, which isn't so bad compared to engineering majors.

CNN Money puts CS at 5th place in terms of starting salary (Most lucrative college majors - highest starting salaries - Jul. 24, 2009). This number could be a little high since top CS grads who get recruited by companies like MS, Google, Facebook and Amazon can make a bundle. It's also possible that more CS jobs are located in metropolitan areas, where salaries are simply higher for everybody.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that CS grads aren't extreme outliers, which is the impression I was getting of your opinion.
  • MomfromKCMomfromKC Posts: 352Registered User Member
    This could be very easily explained by gpa (if it is true and it looks like it is not) But 3.8-4.0 grads rake in bundles of money. 2.0-2.9 grads can't find jobs. Now would you like to compare Cal Tech to DeVry? All those lovely high salaries are pulling in too many students who should have studied something else. Kinda like the Biology majors who get into medical school make a bundle and the ones who don't get to clean the cages of the mice in the testing lab. Universities have big dreams to sell. But my bet would be that aegrisomnia nailed it.
  • chaoswithinthedchaoswithinthed Posts: 341Registered User Member
    At Texas A&M, computer science isn't one of the highest paid in terms of engineering at least. It's right in the middle about, definitely not towards the bottom though. Chemical and Petroleum are the highest for sure. As for salary and unemployment, the pay is only average about the people who have jobs. They don't take people who are jobless as zero salary.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 37,529Registered User Senior Member
    If those sources are both for the UK, then that is strange.

The high unemployment one is from the UK.

The high pay one is from the US.

They are different labor markets.
  • yagottabelieveyagottabelieve Posts: 542Registered User Member
    I would be really surprised if this were the case. If you can't get a real CS job after graduating, you can always fall back on a lower level software engineering or IT job.

Just be aware that it is the "lower level" jobs that tend to be outsourced, offshored, and/or automated.
  • DueceyDuecey Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    Recent computer science grads tend to fall into two camps: either really good with previous work experience or not-so-good with limited experience. The first category can be 5-10x more productive than the latter on Day 1 of a job, so they are always in demand and command high starting salaries. The latter group is, from a business' point of a view, a liability. They will require training and do more harm than good. It's this latter group that talks about how bad the job market is.

The outsourcing thing is largely a myth. Any work that can be outsourced has been for the most part. Other non-technical industries should worry about this more than programmers.
    ^ What Duecey said. Bravo!