Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Just how tough is Electrical Engineering..?

5am69965am6996 Posts: 243Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2012 in Engineering Majors
Hi CC, I was trying to figure out a better way to put my question but that is the best I could come up with..just how tough is it really? One of my friends in college just dropped out and transferred to a business school and is now studying finance! According to him, the math was too hard and he couldn't take the stress. I have been looking at Electrical, Software, Biomed, and Chemical engineering for a while now, Electrical being my top choice. But after hearing that I'm so worried that I won't have what it takes to complete the course! Anyone doing EE right now have any insight? All answers are much appreciated!
Post edited by 5am6996 on

Replies to: Just how tough is Electrical Engineering..?

• hylyfehylyfe Posts: 150Registered User Junior Member
    dunno I feel like this is a bit of a vague question. But i feel ya. Its pretty tough, most engineering majors are tough. Theres a good amount of math but not that much. Also EE is super varied. What i do in ee is so different compared to what some of my friends in ee do.
    In EE you kinda have to be a bit of a jack of all trades. A lot of people expect you to be pretty decent in software, have a decent understanding of some computer engineering concepts. Then of course there will be the field you specialize in.
    So I guess yeah its pretty tough and a lot of work. But obviously a lot of people each are graduating with degrees in it right?
    It does not hurt if you have an interest in it tho. I think having a good interest in my classes srsly helps a lot. Studying is still a chore but its not that bad and sometimes I will catch myself reading extra stuff and looking up random stuff online about stuff.
  • 5am69965am6996 Posts: 243Registered User Junior Member
    It is very vague and I apologize for that but I'm just so nervous and simply want to know if you have to be some sort of genius to do well in EE! I definitely don't want to transfer or switch majors once I'm in college because it will put me behind and that's the last thing I want. Anyways I'll look into this more, thanks for your response!