Wanting to get in Chemical Engineering Graduate Program
I am current a junior and graduating in the Demcember, 2014 with a B.S. degree in Chemistry from West Virginia University. I want to get into the the field of Chemical Engineering but it is too late for me to change major since I don't want to spend any more time in undergrad (my parents are paying for my tuition). My current GPA is 3.1x (I know it is low) because I had a extremely bad semester last Spring and failed 2 of my classes (Biochemistry and Biology), but I got A's for all other classes for that semester. My GPA before that semester was close to 3.5. (I think my major GPA is higher than overall GPA) I realized I pretty much screw up everything now and I am biting my tongue this semester (2013 Fall) and retaking the biochemistry (cannot replace GPA) again and now I am at the top of the class (getting A's). I am also start researching in organic chemistry but the professor just let me work with his grad students and I am not doing any original research now. I still have a little more than a year 'till graduate. I have been researching grad school for a little bit but not a lot, so I am still clueless about the application process (and I will do more definitely). I sincerely hope for advice that what exactly I should do now to improve my chances to get into good graduate chemical engineering program (doesn't have to be Top 20).
Facts about me:
- current major: chemistry B.S.
- intend Grad program: chemical engineering (possibly the phd program)
- current GPA: 3.1x
- my major GPA is higher than the overall GPA
- fail biochemistry but intending to get an A this Fall
- I am an international student and speak pretty good English in comparison with the average international student I have met.
- I am from Hong Kong. Speak Cantonese>English> mandarin (ranked in fluency)
- just start doing research in organic lab this Fall (I am learning a lot), but not original research
- I am graduating in December 2012 (little more than one year until grad)
- I got A in (general chemistry/ Organic Chem II(A+)/ all organic labs/ physical chemistry 1&2&labs/ Calculus 3(A+)/ Speech class)
- I got B in (organic chem I/ organic structure determination)
- my math SAT is 790/800 (missed one question because I don't understand the question in English)
- I enjoy chemistry very much, and all kind of chemistry, so I pick the kind that I can make a better living.
- I do pretty good and enjoy Math, I got a 790/800 in SAT without practicing, I got a A+ in Calculus 3, and I was ranked number 9 in one of the math competition in the whole Texas.
- I read slow
- I type slow
- I think slow but thorough
- I do well in Speech class, I am the top speaker in American high school and college speech class that I took. And I enjoy doing it.
- I am studying harder than ever trying to do damage control on my GPA.
- I cannot afford Master program because I got no money
- I spend one year in a high school in Texas as an exchange student, than spend two years in a community college in Washington, than here in Morgantown for WVU.
- Although WVU is the number one party school, I only go to one party at the begining I was here and I don't feel I enjoy it so I have not party ever since
- I have never got drunk and I don't like people who do.
- My TOEFL iBT two years ago was 84. It should be better now.
- I am very shy and nervous around people, but it is getting better.
- I am the secretary of the Billiards Club this year.
I would like to answer any more detail about myself and I hope for useful comments and advice.