Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Options with a Masters in Hydraulic Engineering?

MileHighEngineerMileHighEngineer Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited February 2013 in Engineering Majors
Hi all,

I'm in my last semester of civil engineering and I'm planning on continuing in the fall with a masters degree in hydraulic engineering/fluid mechanics (since I'll get either a TAship or RAship and get it paid for). As an undergrad who has spent the last 3 and a half years under a rock in the academic world, and who has next to no "real world" knowledge and experience, can anybody tell me what my options are besides civil engineering? It's not that I don't want to go into CivE, it's that I don't know what it will be like out there when I finish! I'd just like to have some options! I enjoy learning fluid mechanics and using the physics to model systems so I know I want to go to grad school for it (plus it's free).

Is it typical for a graduate with an MS in hydraulic engineering/fluid mechanics to do something outside the civil engineering discipline? Possibly something in mechanical or petroleum engineering? Or any engineering for that matter? I don't know too much about it, but it sounds like petroleum engineering involves fluid mechanics and whatnot, especially when fracking, so it would seem like a viable option. Plus they make bank, haha. Any help from engineers out there in various industries? Thanks!
Post edited by MileHighEngineer on

Replies to: Options with a Masters in Hydraulic Engineering?

• MileHighEngineerMileHighEngineer Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Also, I might add that I plan on studying computational fluid dynamics more in depth than an average hydraulic engineering student might study it... CFD has a wide range of applications right? Like I said, I want to further my education without committing myself to one industry/one group of potential employers.
    Bump??? Can nobody comment on this? Are people competent in fluid mechanics not needed in other areas?
  • aerokid1491aerokid1491 Posts: 378Registered User Member
    I guarantee you will be able to do work outside of civil with this masters. I feel like you would have a good shot at fluid mechanics related jobs that typical AE/MEs do and may have the chance to work in the petroleum industry if you do well. Also CFD is sick so learn it if you are interested. Good luck.
  • Lydia15Lydia15 Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
    When you say you no real work experience. Does that mean you did no internships or Co-ops? Cause wouldn't an employer be concerned about person having a masters and no internships or Co-ops?
    Thanks for the input!

Lydia, I had one internship last summer, which was just inspecting roads all day long... snore. It was for the county's engineering department but that's basically all I did. It barely even qualifies as an engineering internship, and unfortunately, has zero to do with my intended field of study at the postgraduate level. But, it is on the resume since I worked for the engineering department. I hope to get a more relevant internship this summer and to be a research assistant for a professor in my department.
  • Lydia15Lydia15 Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
    That's great to hear. It seem like life is really working out for you.