Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ti 89 Titanium vs ti 89

youknowmeyouknowme Posts: 754Registered User Member
edited August 2007 in Engineering Majors
I will be majoring in chemical engineer and minoring in math this coming fall. Should I get the ti 89 titanium or the ti 89? Is the extra feature for the titanium worth let's say $20? Thanks.
Post edited by youknowme on

Replies to: ti 89 Titanium vs ti 89

• kwtortoisekwtortoise Posts: 654Registered User Member
    I wouldn't buy any expensive calculator. I haven't had a single college math class (I've done Calc 1-3, DiffEq, Engineering Math, and Linear Algebra) that will let you use a calculator on a test, let alone a graphing calculator.

My engineering classes have been split 50/50 with allowing scientific versus graphing calculator. I don't even use my graphing calculator when allowed because it would have given me no advantage.

I'd save your money and buy one online if it turns out you want/need one. A good scientific calculator is really necessary for engineering. (I've heard the same from students at other schools too)
  • youknowmeyouknowme Posts: 754Registered User Member
    I have had a Ti 83 but I lost it. It was pretty helpful when solving linear algebra questions. Since I need a new calculator for college anyways, I might just spend some more money to buy a ti 89. I also heard titanium is better to solve stats, i m not sure if it is true. hmm
  • RejectedFromMITRejectedFromMIT Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    well I've been using a TI-89 Titanium for over 2 years now, and it has been extremely useful, especially if you downloaded some applications like calc. tools that will help you a lot and save your time. Being able to draw a graph of a function may be very helpful in understanding things, I strongly recommend that you get one, it's worth the cash. Never care about the money when it's spent on education.
  • protonproton Posts: 1,021Registered User Senior Member
    it will give you the edge if you know how to use it to your advantage
  • RejectedFromMITRejectedFromMIT Posts: 285Registered User Junior Member
    you will get to know how to use it eventually don't worry about that
  • SilentscholarisSilentscholaris Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    The differences, according to Wikipedia:
    The touted advantages of the TI-89 [Titanium] include four times the available flash memory (with over three times as much available to the user). The TI-89 Titanium is essentially a Voyage 200, except it doesn't have an integrated keyboard. The TI-89 Titanium also has a mini-USB port, for connectivity to other TI-89 Titanium calculators, or to a computer (to store programs or update the operating system). The TI-89 Titanium also features some pre-loaded applications, such as "CellSheet", a spreadsheet program also offered with other TI calculators. The Titanium has a slightly updated CAS, which adds a few more mathematical functions, most notably implicit differentiation. The Titanium also has a slightly differing case design from that of the TI-89 (the Titanium's case design is similar to that of the TI-84 Plus)

It's up for you to decide. It depends if you think you need these features or not.
    I will probably just get a regular ti 89, since a lot of the programs can be downloaded later. Thanks for all the help.
  • skp21skp21 Posts: 527Registered User Member
    The new TI Nspire series will be coming out mid august so you might want to wait on purchasing a new calculator. If anything, the prices for the TI-89 will drop significantly come release time
  • GeordieGeordie Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    is the nspire going to be able to be used on the SATs and/or AP Calc?

no qwerty, so it should be able to.

sweet, it is.

i don't know if i want to get the CAS, or the normal one which as 84 support.
  • iloveagoodbrewiloveagoodbrew Posts: 1,681Registered User Junior Member
    Air Jordans won't make you a good basketball player, if you catch my drift.
  • skp21skp21 Posts: 527Registered User Member
    get the CAS edition especially for an engineering major
  • feenotypefeenotype Posts: 2,276Registered User Senior Member
    I have had a TI-89 for years and I feel no particular sense of envy towards those you have 89 Titaniums. I just don't see any particularly vital advantage to having a 89T over an 89.

And 89s are very useful in college. You'll be taking more than just math classes. Your 89 will be of great help in your chemistry, physics, and engineering classes.
    I finally got a ti 89 titanium on ebay for less than $80. It is more or less $10 more than the regular ti 89, so it's not a big deal.
  • coolman25coolman25 Posts: 582Registered User Member
    You don't have to buy a data cable to the Titanium. Some schools actually let you use graphing calculators on tests, especially in upper-division engineering classes where a calculator won't help you at all. It's still useful for doing lengthy homework problems. Here, I'll teach you the function that you'll be using the most:

solve(equation, variable)

for example:

solve(x^2 = 9, x)

Derivatives and integrals too. You can d/l programs for differential eqs and Laplace transforms.
    Great. Thanks!