Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Most difficult branch of engineering?

Blue88Blue88 Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2012 in Engineering Majors
What would you guys say is the most difficult branch of Engineering as far as getting the degree goes? Like, which has the hardest math, hardest physics, hardest whatever?

My guess is either Biomed, or Mechanical. I'm wondering as I'm not entirely sure what field of engineering I wanna do (or if I even should, don't wanna get in over my head and waste time/money), so I figured I'd ask you guys here.
Post edited by Blue88 on

Replies to: Most difficult branch of engineering?

• icy9ff8icy9ff8 Posts: 1,605- Senior Member
    At Georgia Tech, electrical engineering is often regarded as the most difficult major. Certainly it is the most competitive.
  • Blue88Blue88 Posts: 64Registered User Junior Member
    So you wouldn't really say there is a universal hard? It just varies by school? I don't really wanna do EE. Not super interested in Elec/Computers, as least aside from using em.

I'm thinking Civil or Mechanical.
  • scorpscorp Posts: 994Registered User Member
    It varies by school a lot. There is no universal hardest. In general things that don't deal with steady states or linear, mechanical systems tend to have harder math (cheme, biomede, ee, etc...) but it really depends on the school and department.
  • SulaymanshahSulaymanshah Posts: 274Registered User Junior Member
    At UW-Madison, ChemE is regarded as the hardest branch.
  • Myrmidon73Myrmidon73 Posts: 624Registered User Member
    BME is the toughest here at UT (at least its the most selective major, and they're continuously pulling $$$ into it), with ChemE a close second. But, it varies by school.
    Hmmm, okay. Also, as far as job prospects, outside of CS, which has the best job prospects?
  • chaoseschaoses Posts: 1,039Registered User Member
    electrical / computer engineer
  • sang54sang54 Posts: 656Registered User Member
    Comp Sci at UIUC, hahahaha
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,871Registered User Senior Member
    I would think aerospace engineering probably has the most advanced math and physics in general.
  • sang54sang54 Posts: 656Registered User Member
    I would think aerospace engineering probably has the most advanced math and physics in general.

Actually, engineering physics would be most math/physics intensive, but very few schools offer this major.
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,871Registered User Senior Member
    Quote:
    Actually, engineering physics would be most math/physics intensive, but very few schools offer this major.
    I wouldn't be surprised. I didn't even think about engineering physics actually. My school has an applied physics and math major... is that the same as eng physics?
    Chaoses. EE/ CS as hardest, or most job prospects?
  • ChamilitaryMayneChamilitaryMayne Posts: 781Registered User Member
    supposedly chemical and electrical are the most difficult and comp sci is the most math intensive
  • rebelxt14rebelxt14 Posts: 91- Junior Member
    Aerospace. Two words; rocket science.
  • tom725tom725 Posts: 586Registered User Member
    Nuclear Eng is the hardest major in my school, Chem E comes second.
    and third- EE.