Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which engineering major has the most potential?

freezingbumfreezingbum Posts: 143Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2005 in Engineering Majors
i was wondering which engineering major has the most potential to go into another field like management, investment banking, etc. I'm not really concerned about law, med school, etc. but more business related fields. I'd think mechanical because it seems to be the broadest but how about computer engineering? is that too specialized?
Post edited by freezingbum on

Replies to: Which engineering major has the most potential?

• lennyd44lennyd44 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Industrial engineering deals with management, people, machines, manufacturing, and business in term of safety, productivity, quality, efficiency etc.

IE is a broad major

For me, I like both IE and ME but my final decision come to getting BS in ME then go for MS in IE
  • Z e r o XZ e r o X Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    Which engineering major do investment banking firms like to hire most?

Is it electrical or computer because its the hardest?
  • dr_reynoldsdr_reynolds Posts: 536Registered User Member
    I really don't think it will matter that much, you will need to find other ways to stand out if you want to do something different like investment banking. Try to get some experience in that during the summers or some type of internship.
    Does it even matter if its engineering or not? Because could I could do something easier and still get in it?
  • kiddlykiddly Posts: 114- Junior Member
    If you don't go to a top school (IBanks aren't going to be recruiting at lower tiered schools), then connections are what will get you into IB. And if you are relying on connections to get into IB (coming from a school like Wentworth or Suffolk), you could probably major in basket weaving to get a foot in the door.
    If you don't go to a top school (IBanks aren't going to be recruiting at lower tiered schools), then connections are what will get you into IB. And if you are relying on connections to get into IB (coming from a school like Wentworth or Suffolk), you could probably major in basket weaving and still get a foot in the door.
    If the major really don't matter that much or any in IB, as you say... then theoretically couldn't you do IB straight out of high school without college education? (though they probably won't hire high school grads...)
  • celebrian25celebrian25 Posts: 15,373Registered User Senior Member
    it's not the major, but the critical analysis skills you learn that are so important. hs grads don't know that.
    And basket weaving/art history majors do?

Say a high school student took alot of hard classes. They would have more "critical analysis skills" than a basket weaving major.
    As I said, if you are not coming from a top tier school, personal/family connections are the only way to get into I-Banking. And at that point, you are right, if the connections are strong enough, there probably isn't any need to graduate from college. Keep in mind that many of the wealthiest people on earth did not graduate from college and they have succeeded whether they have connections or not. Also remember that these people are the extreme minority, though.
  • rtkysgrtkysg Posts: 598Registered User Member
    ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, no brainer !!
    Thanks. I now see that IB is all about connections.

Would it be possible to start your own IB. I know it would probably be a lot of work but if its the only way to reach my target income($1000000), its worth a try.

Hows this plan sound? Get electromechanical ABET accredited diploma from Wentworth Institute of Technology, work a few years in management in engineering, get MBA, start IB.

Is this possible? :)
    I think you are hearing just want you want to hear. IB is not "just about connections". Although it very well can be if you have the right connections, I suspect you don't have those connections if you have to ask. Of course I could very well be dead wrong, too.

Nothing can stop you from starting your own IB. Just make sure you have the marketing skills of Jesus or David Koresh or Charles Manson. And/or convenient access to billions of dollars from either your own pockets or those who trust you. Good luck, dude!
    No, I don't have 'connections' nor am I rich.

I was hoping to work a few years(2-4) in management in engineering immediatly after graduation. I hope this will give me enough money to start a IB.
  • dr_reynoldsdr_reynolds Posts: 536Registered User Member
    Going to a top tier school will only help your chances slightly..the key is to pursue your dreams and do whatever it takes to get there.