Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Pharmacy vs Engineering, which is harder?

EngineersRkoolEngineersRkool Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2008 in Engineering Majors
I know that both fields are tough, but which one is more painful?
Post edited by EngineersRkool on

Replies to: Pharmacy vs Engineering, which is harder?

• Amandeep1Amandeep1 Posts: 169- Junior Member
    good pain like in workout or bad pain like when someone punches you?
  • lkf725lkf725 Posts: 4,781Registered User Senior Member
    Depends on what you like and what you are good at. Pharmacy is a lot of chem and engineering in a lot of math.
  • melanimelani Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    If u like remembering stuff, go for pharmacy. If not, go for engineering. My opinion is based on u like math, physics, and chemistry.
  • ElectricTechElectricTech Posts: 882Registered User Member
    Pharmacy is more painful if you hate chem and engineering is harder if you hate physics.
  • playswithlegosplayswithlegos Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Look at what the out come is.... do you want to sit behind a counter and count pills? run a business, work for a drugstore chain on weekends, holidays,24 hours a day they are open you know. OR>>>
    work in a hospital counting more damn pills, mixing IV drips, ChemoTherapy, Deciphering unreadable MD's handwriting, OR do you want to be part of building the next generation of Nuclear Power Plants all over the world using the latest design techniques, planning, travel the world, the draw back is having your day interrupted by headhunters offering you more pay to jump ship and work for another company????? I'm in the Medical field (30 yrears)and I am paying a tutor to help me with Physics so I can become an engineer at 50. My boys are both going into Engineering, my Husband a Nurse is Engineering his job closer towards engineering everyday. Go Shadow a Pharmacist for a day or 2, same with an Engineer in your field of choice. Your knowledge gained will be invaluable.
  • xjisxjis Posts: 458Registered User Member
    man. i like the title of this thread far better than art history vs engineering.
  • ratrollratroll Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
    To be fair, very few engineers live such an exciting life. The average engineers life if probably closer to what you see on Office Space... hey, at least it pays well.
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,871Registered User Senior Member
    The potential to have a boring life as an engineer exists, but the potential to have an exciting life as a pharmacist does not.

Ask around this forum and I'm sure you will find a few engineers who find their jobs exciting. My engineering education has led me to work on the construction of the most expensive residential building in the U.S. (sales totaled $2B). And now I'm working on a national memorial which will cost close to $1B. Maybe it's just me, but I find these projects to be pretty exciting. And since no two projects are ever the same, the chances of you getting bored with your work is lower than that of a pharmacist.
  • My2AngelsMy2Angels Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    I find this kind of an interested thread... I have 2 children & these are the careers they are planning. The older one (son) is studying engineering right now & the younger daughter will be applying to pharmacy schools in the fall. Since she hasn't started yet, I cannot say which one is harder. I would say since pharmacy is a minimum of 6 years, that would make it a bit tougher. I will say that they have different personalities which make them better suited to one versus the other. I will also say that if my daughter can make it through all the schooling, as a Pharmacist, I will not worry about her getting a job or having enough money to live. My son, the future engineer... although his prospects will be good, I don't feel quite as confident!
  • brad97zbrad97z Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    The one that is going to be more difficult is likely the one you are least interested in.
  • lkf725lkf725 Posts: 4,781Registered User Senior Member
    Playswithlegos clearly was in the wrong profession at first (heck, he plays with legos...duh...engineer stuff). But I would just like to interject that pharmacy can be a great profession for the right person. There are lots of different jobs and work environments to choose from and jobs are plentiful in just about all geographic areas. Lots of people who enter engineering drop out too. You just have to find what's right for you.