Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dual Degree Computer Science and Materials Engineering

starwarsfanstarwarsfan Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2008 in Engineering Majors
How hard would it be to pull something like this off? I know engineering by itself supposed to be hard...
Post edited by starwarsfan on

Replies to: Dual Degree Computer Science and Materials Engineering

• RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    It's doable, though you'll get a lot less overlap in classes than a CompE or EE would. I know a number of people that have done CS as a minor with their MSE degree, and they seemed perfectly happy with that.

What do you want to do with CS to have it compliment your MSE degree (or vice versa)? Often you can just take a minor and manage to take all the classes you're interested in and get to skip all of the boring required classes for the major. For example, I did a minor in physics so I could bypass the physics track for lower level classes, their higher level E&M stuff, and a bunch of other boring classes. Instead, I just got to take quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and solid state physics; all of which were classes that tied in closely to my MSE degree.
  • starwarsfanstarwarsfan Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
    I'm interested in programming so maybe i could take a couple C++ classes and get a minor in CompSci?
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    To get a minor in CS you'd probably have to take a few upper-level theory classes, where it's not so much your ability to program that's important, but your understanding of how your code should work.

Also, lots of schools don't use C++ very much nowadays, there's a lot of Java and other specialized languages. I know at my undergrad school classes were done in Java for the most part, though there was a course in C (not C++) for certain engineers.
  • starwarsfanstarwarsfan Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
    Well most jobs ask for C++ programming. It's okay though, I can just take the Java classes and learn C++ by myself right?
  • nshah9617nshah9617 Posts: 1,005Registered User Senior Member
    Do-able but I say it will be very very hard and time consuming.

The only classes that might overlap are the Physics, Calculus, Math and maybe basic programming classes.

A CompSci Minor would be much more efficient and if not, just use your MSME electives in a programming area.
  • jessiehljessiehl Posts: 3,328Registered User Senior Member
    Well most jobs ask for C++ programming.

Eh, not really (unless we're talking scientific computing, perhaps). Lots of Java these days. That's one of the reasons why schools teach it now.

My ex-boyfriend was a MatE major who complemented it with CS/software engineering classes. He's a video game developer now.