Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Engineering study hours

121314121314 Posts: 302Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2010 in Engineering Majors
On average, how many hours do engineering majors study every day?
Post edited by 121314 on

Replies to: Engineering study hours

• carneliancarnelian Posts: 327Registered User Member
    It depends. When I was in college, I would say 1 anywhere from 15-30 hours a week, depending on how many, and which, classes I was taking.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    "On average, how many hours do engineering majors study every day?"

All of them. :)
  • ElectricTechElectricTech Posts: 882Registered User Member
    How many credits do they take, usually?
  • electrificeelectrifice Posts: 363Registered User Member
    7 hours a week per class... so I guess that would be around 28 hours for me then. Its hard to say because I tend to get easily distracted over any period of studying, and tend to spend more time than I intend to on "studying" (which invariably includes a lot of other crap too). I think you can get by with 3-5 hours (per week per class) of studying if you are right on target while you're studying.
  • Dauntless9Dauntless9 Posts: 356Registered User Member
    The idea of having that much time available to study is simply mind boggling to me. Ironically, where I go to school people pretty much never study unless it's the day before or the day of a quiz/exam/midterm/final. We have too much homework to be able to study that kind of sheer amount (unless you count homework as study time?).
  • electrificeelectrifice Posts: 363Registered User Member
    yea, my estimate counts homework as "studying." In fact, I do most of my studying (80%+) while doing homework.
  • TboonepickensTboonepickens Posts: 1,037Registered User Senior Member
    yea, im not in college yet, but in my o-chem class, studying consists of doing problem sets, and then looking over them again, and then doing more problem sets, and then reading the book, and then doing more problem sets, and then some more problem sets, than do some more problem sets, this is all interspersed with about 10 email/facebook checks.

good thing those problem sets aren't for a grade though.
  • Techy233Techy233 Posts: 604Registered User Member
    and how long does that took you Tboone?
  • flemmydflemmyd Posts: 525Registered User Member
    problem sets (aka hw) is a good way to study. learn by doing. without actually doing a project yet...
  • compgeekcompgeek Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    Freshman - Junior year, probably about 5-8 hours a week per class. Now in my senior year, probably 1 hour a week per class... because I got a job and senioritis hit really bad ;-)
  • Dauntless9Dauntless9 Posts: 356Registered User Member
    Actually, our problems sets are worth anything from 25% to 50% of our grade in a given class.
  • AeroscholarAeroscholar Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    From Michigan
    "As an engineering student, you will have a challenging course load. For each hour you spend in class you should expect to study at least 2 or more hours outside of class. It is not unusual for students to study for 35+ hours a week."
  • greenvisongreenvison Posts: 491Registered User Member
    I have to be honest. I got through HS without any serious studying. Then it wasn't until my fourth semester in college when I realized that my last moment studying did not work and I ended up getting a bad grade.

Generally, midterms and quizzes should be easy if you do your homeworks without the solutions manual. The final should be studied for more thoroughly. With 4 engineering classes and 1 one math class, I only study ( other than for hw/lab report) on weekends. Just take good notes and understand what you write. I commute 2:20 minutes everyday, thats when I go through them.
  • BoelterHallBoelterHall Posts: 2,926Registered User Senior Member
    "As an engineering student, you will have a challenging course load. For each hour you spend in class you should expect to study at least 2 or more hours outside of class. It is not unusual for students to study for 35+ hours a week."
    At UCLA I spend about an hour for each hour spent in class just re-reading notes and reading the corresponding section(s) & examples in the textbook. Then I spend about another 1-1.5 hours for each hour spend in class working on problem sets. Each problem set usually takes about 6 hours to complete.

This is just the minimum amount of "studying" for a successful engineering student. Sometimes you may need to do extra problems in the textbook or you may want to read ahead in the textbook.

I advise people to study everyday. Try to study material you have learned within 48 hours. That way, material is fresh in your head. You won't forget what you didn't understand and you will be determined to find a way to understand it. If you follow this prescription, you won't be pulling all nighters (overrated by the way) and studying for exams won't take more than a day.
  • protonproton Posts: 1,021Registered User Senior Member
    24/7 u will drown if u dont