Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do engineers use equations(preferally calculus) on a daily basis at work?

striver87striver87 Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2009 in Engineering Majors
I understand that tools are becoming more sophisticated these days.But, do engineers use calculus equations on their jobs?
Post edited by striver87 on

Replies to: Do engineers use equations(preferally calculus) on a daily basis at work?

• EngrMomEngrMom Posts: 99Registered User Junior Member
    As always, the answer is 'it depends'. I (being an ECE in radar control systems) perform differentiation occasionally (as in daily for a while, then months without it). Some engineers use it a lot. My H (ChemE - process engineer) has actually forgotten how to compute a derivative! I use differential equations, but usually ones that were solved long ago. Linear algebra and probability theory I use constantly.
  • del_psidel_psi Posts: 229Registered User Junior Member
    What about PDEs specifically and Complex Analysis?
  • toronto_guytoronto_guy Posts: 261Registered User Junior Member
    A lot of times you are using it but you do not know. Tabulated values or software output comes from calculus but you do not have to do the calculation each time.
  • BigGBigG Posts: 3,885Registered User Senior Member
    Statistics is actually more generally useful in industry. But calculus has its functions and should not be neglected.