Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Responding to Internship Job Offer

cyclone10cyclone10 Posts: 400Registered User Member
edited April 2010 in Engineering Majors
OK, so
I applied for a summer internship, had an onsite interview, then got the offer.

but,
there are at least 4 other summer internships that I like more. I recently applied to these 4 and don't want to make a commitment until I hear back from all of them.

my question is,
in engineering how much time can I buy before I accept this offer? and how can I buy time? what should I tell the company? And finally a dumb question, how bad would it be to accept this offer than pull out in a couple weeks?
Post edited by cyclone10 on

Replies to: Responding to Internship Job Offer

  • bigtreesbigtrees Posts: 1,191User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    Your internship offer letter should tell you the date that you need to let them know.

    It would be bad to accept the offer and then pull out. At worst, it might make you ineligible for future employment at that company.

    Do you mind sending me a DM with the company name if it's a well known company? I can you a better opinion then...
  • cyclone10cyclone10 Posts: 400Registered User Member
    they did not specify in the email or letter the date I have till I have to make a decision. HR asked via email that I call them if I accept the offer
  • cyclone10cyclone10 Posts: 400Registered User Member
    yea so as of two minutes ago I just received an email from one of the 'other' companies (Cummins) for a phone interview.
  • bigtreesbigtrees Posts: 1,191User Awaiting Email Confirmation Senior Member
    Oh if the didn't say I date I'd simply not respond for a while.
  • purduefrankpurduefrank Posts: 485Registered User Member
    Standard time to let them know is two weeks, I think every offer I've ever had followed this... You might be able to buy a little extra time but I wouldn't push the issue if they're not very receptive.
  • cyclone10cyclone10 Posts: 400Registered User Member
    thats reaffirming purduefrank, thanks for the response. I think I will email the HR guy and tell him I will make a decision within two weeks of the offer.

    I was thinking to call the other three company's to follow up and let them know of my situtation that I only have two weeks, so I can speedy up the process with them.
  • creepypasta13creepypasta13 Posts: 236Registered User Junior Member
    i might be in a similar dilemma. I got a summer internship offer from the DOE and a summer research internship for the weapons systems dept for the navy. The DOE lab only gave me a few days, and wanted proof that i start grad school in the fall! It's tough to decide what offers to take and what to reject, but we should feel lucky we even got these in the first place. Just a couple days ago, before I got notified of these offers, I was extremely worried that i'd have NOTHING to do over the summer..
  • cyclone10cyclone10 Posts: 400Registered User Member
    yea man I hear you, especially the last sentence
  • creepypasta13creepypasta13 Posts: 236Registered User Junior Member
    though I'm in a similar dilemma as the OP, my situation has changed a little. My offer letter just says 'We would like your employment to begin as soon as possible. This is a temporary position. We will expect you will work 40 hours per week. However, we can accommodate fewer hours per week if you need extra time off for full-time job interviews or school...Also, please be aware that your employment relationship with [this company] is “at-will” and, as such, the employment relationship may be terminated by either you or the Company at any time and for any reason.'

    By school, they're referring to the fact that I'm currently auditing courses in aerodynamics, mass transfer, and FEA, since I plan to start my MSME program this upcoming fall. Anyways, last week they told me they wanted me to follow up with them regarding the interviews I'm still having with other companies.

    I'm still getting phone interviews for other internships, but none of them are all that great either, but at least I will learn to use software that engineers use such as CATIA, CAD, etc. Whereas the position I got offered for is mostly hands-on work. Should I contact them to ask for more time to accept the offer? Or, I don't how stupid this sounds but maybe I can try to do 2 internships this summer, about 20 hrs/wk for each?
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,879Registered User Senior Member
    Two internships simultaneously sounds like a potential conflict of interest, assuming the two are in related fields.
  • creepypasta13creepypasta13 Posts: 236Registered User Junior Member
    hmm, well would it be possible that I start one internship, lets say next week, which will end in 90 days, and then do another internship in the middle of this summer?
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Posts: 1,674Registered User Senior Member
    Most employment is "at will" including spouse in major law firm-equity partner, 30+ years. I wouldn't let that terminology scare you. If I'm not mistaken, "at will" exists in many states and is not exclusive to certain companies.
Sign In or Register to comment.